Help me choose a .277 bullet... (.270 Win)

mwkelso

I know there are plenty of threads on here about Nosler, Berger, Hammer, etc., all of which are great bullets.
With this gun though, it is the one I shoot the most, hands down.
The longest shot on game it has and will ever see is 500yds on a deer, but more often 300yds or less. The occasional elk at the same range, no greater than 300yds.
Since I shoot this one so frequently, I would like to find a balance between a good bullet and a reasonable cost.
Speer Boat Tails? Partitions? Hot cores? Other options?

What do you guys think?

Nosler partitions and accubonds are great bullets. Last year, I had a one-shot, drop dead elk kill with Hornady's 130gr SST ammo. 3200 fps. I have had similar success with the SSTs on white tails at 300+ yards.

Nosler partitions and accubonds are great bullets. Last year, I had a one-shot, drop dead elk kill with Hornady's 130gr SST ammo. 3200 fps. I have had similar success with the SSTs on white tails at 300+ yards.
I've heard a couple accounts of the SST fragging apart at close ranges. Has this ever happened to you?

I love the SST's as well ... I haven't convinced myself that they'll hold up at < 100yd shots with 3200-3300 MV from a WSM or WBY. I have more confidence in accubonds, interbonds, etc. for close range, high velocity shots. Which where I am hunting WT are orders of magnitude more likely than anything longer than 500 yds. I'll keep a couple of rounds of something that will expand better beyond 500 in my cheek pouch just in case.

Not me but I've seen the core lokt blow up from 270wsm at < 100. Which is why SST and any other non-bonded lead bullet makes me a little nervous. So I stick with a bonded, tipped bullet and AB is my current favorite. Certainly not the only one that will do the job, though.

The SST is a great hunting bullet when used correctly. With the 270 a 150gr is best when you can encounter shots at close range, it won't blow up vs a 130gr that is going to fast. Being a heavier bullet with a higher BC it makes up for the slower velocity vs the 130gr and still reach out further and with more knock down power.

With non bonded cup and core bullets like the SST or Ballistic Tips, heavy for caliber bullets work best in large cartridges like the 270 Win that pushes bullets faster. And they aren't as expensive as other bullets.

Hope this helps and stay safe

I have used Hornady 140 snbt for years and years on whitetail. The only other I would consider would be a 130, just to shoot a tad flatter.

Right up my alley, friend. 270 Win is, by far, my favorite caliber. I've tried some of just about everything out there at one time or another in my 270's and keep coming back to Noslers. For the whitetails we have in Texas, pronghorn, or many of the exotics, I use the 130 accubond but I have noticed they are prone to fragment at MV 3000+fps or close in shots. If I feel the need for something heavier, I use the 130 partition on heavier deer and exotic. The few times I have used a 270 for elk, I used the 150 partition. Just my opinion based on personal experience but I've found no problems with the above.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.