Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

adam32

700 long action to start with...deer and rocks mainly...7mm 200gr wildcats or 180gr Bergers...:Dgun)

Getting to a mile supersonic is easy. A 7mm STW or 7mm RUM with a 30" barrel is sufficient. What's tricky is hitting anything at that distance. The problem is not the accuracy of the rifle. 1MOA is only 18" at a mile. It's being able to adequately measure the crosswinds over the trajectory and load ammo with sufficiently low velocity variation to not have groups larger than the game you're trying to hit. The use of a laser range finder is a given.

Deer hunting at a mile can be simple. Always hunt by yourself. Video record every shot through a telephoto lens. Promptly erase all of the recordings where you miss or only wound the animal. Post videos of the occasional clean kill on the Long Range Hunting Video Library and never mention the other shots. If you're not highly skilled at doping wind and handloading you can do the same thing at 1000 yards with factory ammo and a 30-06 or a 270 WIn. It's still impressive shooting.

Sarcasm mode off...

Deer hunting at a mile can be simple. Always hunt by yourself. Video record every shot through a telephoto lens. Promptly erase all of the recordings where you miss or only wound the animal. Post videos of the occasional clean kill on the Long Range Hunting Video Library and never mention the other shots. If you're not highly skilled at doping wind and handloading you can do the same thing at 1000 yards with factory ammo and a 30-06 or a 270 WIn. It's still impressive shooting.

Sarcasm mode off...
:D

Yeah, building a '1 mile rifle' is easy. Hitting a deer at 1 mile before burning out the throat of the barrel will be harder.

Might just as well call it a 2-mile rifle or a 3-mile rifle.

Shooting at rocks is one thing, and maybe that's what you're really focusing on at 1 mile. Shooting at game at those distances will likely draw a bunch of guff, in spite of the fact that ethics debates are off-limits on this Forum.

If you're looking into a custom built rifle, I would recommend contacting a few of the gunsmiths that are sponsors of this Forum and discuss your ambitions and desires with them. If you're seriously focused on 1 mile hunting, you'll be talking about a heavy rifle shooting a fire breathing cartridge. I really doubt they'll recommend a Remington 700 long action. You're talking out-of-the-ordinary receiver, barrel, bedding, stock, and optics - because hunting at one mile is extraordinary hunting.

Just wanted a little discussion...I don't have the skills or desire to hunt at 1 mile, but rocks and steel would be fun. Deer to probably 1000yrds would be about it. But I do have a 700 long action and a bunch of wildcat and berger bullets laying around waiting to get shot...

Adam,

If your serious about building a 1 mile rifle pm me and we can have a serious discussion. Those that mock the possibilities of the extremely long shot are those that don't have enough experience or desire to push the envelope. Although I get LouBoyds sarcasm there truly are those of us that can make these shots with alot of practice, experience and the right equipment.

I'd second Bryan, but..
I have to add that 'shooting at' game, is but a sliver of hunting,, if hunting at all.

GROW UP

I'd second Bryan, but..
I have to add that 'shooting at' game, is but a sliver of hunting,, if hunting at all.

GROW UP

Nice reply...if you have nothing to add then why even waste your time with a reply?!

Just wanted a little discussion to let the day go by, I guess some of you "experts" are just to good for that...:rolleyes:

I'd second Bryan, but..

GROW UP

Now Im confused. Why are you here? This guy can't even come on here and ask a question about something many people on this site do often without being told to GROW UP? Wow! I guess the other question is what is long range hunting to you? Does it even include a purpose built rifle like the one he was asking about? Does that mean anyone capable of doing something you may or may not be able to do is unethical? Shooting AT rocks at a mile and killing deer consistantly at 1000 is attainable with practice and good equipment (unfortunately I'm not quite there yet). Give him a break or better yet helpful advise.

Part of the problem of killing things at a mile is very few people are willing to discuss it because of the attitude you see on your thread. It then falls upon the individual to begin a trial and error process to see what works.

Sat and glassed for three or four hours this morning where the closest shot would have been over 1800 yards No deer seen. Last day of late rifle season in Maryland. Oh well there is always next year.

One thing that you will need is optics that cost three to four times what your rifle costs.

I would suggest you talk to Kevin not only about the rifle but also the optics needed. He has a good understanding of that as well.

If you spot game at a mile, and stalk with your system to position for a single shot kill (whatever range that is), I'll certainly respect that.
If that best position was 638yds, or 470yds, and that's where you did your best, I respect it.
If your milestone here is to expand your best position 'as far as possible', I respect your endeavor.
But if you won't get closer than a mile, if you just won't put an honest effort into taking a mark with one shot, then I don't respect you.
You set the goal as '1 mile rifle' as though a Cub Scout badge.

This BS of multishots from the extremes behind a bench rest, just to moonwalk around like you're all that, is NOT hunting. It's merely target shooting at game, and anyone feeding delusion of achievement could do it. This is all PD 'hunting' amounts to, and I'm sure they covet their yardage club pictures in Varmint Hunter magazine.

Something to offer?
You can walk shots into rocks and crap over at Snipershide.

If you spot game at a mile, and stalk with your system to position for a single shot kill (whatever range that is), I'll certainly respect that.

I agree

If that best position was 638yds, or 470yds, and that's where you did your best, I respect it.

I agree

If your milestone here is to expand your best position 'as far as possible', I respect your endeavor.
But if you won't get closer than a mile, if you just won't put an honest effort into taking a mark with one shot, then I don't respect you.
You set the goal as '1 mile rifle' as though a Cub Scout badge.

I was just putting a question out there, I've been off work for a little while so I have some time to just sit around and think about stuff, a one mile rifle was one thing I was wondering about...

This BS of multishots from the extremes behind a bench rest, just to moonwalk around like you're all that, is NOT hunting. It's merely target shooting at game, and anyone feeding delusion of achievement could do it. This is all PD 'hunting' amounts to, and I'm sure they covet their yardage club pictures in Varmint Hunter magazine.

I would never try to walk shots in on game, not from 100yrds or a mile...

Something to offer?
You can walk shots into rocks and crap over at Snipershide.

I'm not a fan of that site...

So, again I'm not going to be out tomorrow trying to shoot animals at a mile...rocks and steel are in my plans though...

I am going to jump in the snake pit. I would look a 338 to shoot a 300gr pill. From what I read the 338 edge would be a good caliber. Probably need a muzzle brake and an aftermarket action, good barrel, and start practicing. Good rifle should get easy hits on a large target @ 1000yds. Then learn the wind and back the target up 100-200 at a time. If you can use a camera or spotter(very safetly) to spot each shot. An f class match is a great way to learn to read the wind. Instant feedback.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.