Help, Looking for a new hunting caliber, thinking 6.5-284, 6.5 SAUM maybe?

odoylerules

2AD39A6D-4FA9-44E0-A6D5-24785E0EE404.jpeg
6265B27F-29E6-49F9-B2DE-FD48C1E7A68B.jpeg
I have a stainless Ruger M77 mark ii I've decided to give a new life. It's currently a 7mm rem mag. I want something different this time. I'm taking it to the smith in a week or two to be accurized and Re-barreled. This is going to be a lightweight hunting rig for deer and antelope sized game. (I have a 338 lapua IM I'll use for elk)
I was thinking a 6.5-284 or 6.5 SAUM or something similar maybe. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated.
•I reload.
•Barrel life isn't that important being a dedicated hunting rig.

My understanding is that you would want a long action for the 6.5x284, to get all the horsepower out of it. And the 6.5 saum is built on a short action. With that being said your 7 mag action would work best as a 6.5x284. I hope this helps

Since it's a dedicated hunting rig, you reload, and staying with 6.5mm. Look into 26 Nosler too. Barrel life will be under 1000. But it's a laser. Another option to look into is 264 Win Mag. At standard LA magazine length 6.5x284 will be the easiest to load.

Any 6.5 magnum is going to work great, especially since you reload.

ETA: 6.5x284 will require a different bolt. Since your action was used for a 7mm mag, it will have a magnum bolt face, you will need a standard bolt face.

Last edited:
I re-barreled a 7 Rem mag to 6.5 SAUM and it's been a fantastic set up, I've shot two bulls with it already.
a LA is great for the SAUM if you plan on shooting the 147's and up, plus as I'm sure you're aware your bolt face is compatible with the SAUM case making it a very easy conversion.
My main reason for going the 6.5 route was to reduce recoil in a lightweight hunting package, my rifle is 5.8 lbs (7.2 scoped) and recoil is very light.
Much lighter than when it was heavier and wore a 7 mag barrel.

I had a very similar rifle and did the same thing but went 6.5 WSM. It didn't feed that great because of action length. Either a 6.5x284 or a 6.5 saum would be a great choice with 140 grain bullets. Make sure you get the correct reamer and freebore for either cartridge. But especially the SAUM

As stated the 284 case won't work with your bolt.
I'd be inclined to look at the 65 ss aka sherman. Seems like the right capacity without going wildly overbore to run anything in the 140ish range and would do really well with the 155 when berger releases them.

6.5 SAUM will doing everything you need with less pressure and recoil and longer barrel life. Every one I've had is extremely accurate.......Makes me look like a much better shot than I really am;)

Sounds like the SAUM might be the way to go for this particular rifle. The 6.5-284 would require a different bolt. It's a LA with an internal mag of around 3.4", COAL shouldn't be an issue at all.
I'm thinking I should order some components, build up some dummy rounds and send off to JGS for a reamer. My smith is a buddy giving me a great deal and doesn't have the reamer.
•Any help or advice about bullets and brass?
•reamer specs?
•dies?
•barrel?
•bullets?

Last edited:
6.5 SAUM is a great round, but I would think very hard on it if you plan on using it more frequent than hunting. Why? Because the current Hornady brass will not yield very many reloads before the primer pockets go. Good luck in whatever direction you take.

6.5 SAUM is a great round, but I would think very hard on it if you plan on using it more frequent than hunting. Why? Because the current Hornady brass will not yield very many reloads before the primer pockets go. Good luck in whatever direction you take.
I think the Hornady brass is now better than the first few batches. I don't push mine really hard but shoot the 140 Elites at 3080 and I'm on the 5th reload of brass that still has tight primer pockets. The brass I used to determine how far I could push things was used for annealing test subjects after only two firings though. I have heard that ADG is coming out with 6.5 GAP brass this summer. Got my fingers crossed it will be better!

I use Norma 7 Saum brass
Hornady 6.5 GAP dies
And shoot the 147 ELDM bullets, I'm really interested in trying the berger 156 eol bullets when they come out
I would recommend getting at least a 7.5 twist barrel.
Send me a pm if you want any more specifics on load data, case forming etc..

Simple fix is to run Norma 7 Saum brass through a full length 6.5 saum die, super simple and great brass.
I neck turn but it's not required

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.