Help in Wyoming unit 23

Amf247

My good buddy and me we're lucky enough to get type 2 Tags in the secondary draw. Really looking forward to seeing this beautiful state!
I was hoping that there might be some landowners who might let us trespass hunt for a fee. It's anyone is willing to allow that please let me know.
Thanks very much

My good buddy and me we're lucky enough to get type 2 Tags in the secondary draw. Really looking forward to seeing this beautiful state!
I was hoping that there might be some landowners who might let us trespass hunt for a fee. It's anyone is willing to allow that please let me know.
Thanks very much

At this late date you will most likely have a very difficult time finding a landowner that has openings for trespass fee hunts. Because Antelope Hunt Area Type 2 licenses, which are valid only on private lands, are a guaranteed draw, most hunters make arrangements for hunting a year or more in advance.

Good luck, I hope you can find something.

ClearCreek

At this late date you will most likely have a very difficult time finding a landowner that has openings for trespass fee hunts. Because Antelope Hunt Area Type 2 licenses, which are valid only on private lands, are a guaranteed draw, most hunters make arrangements for hunting a year or more in advance.

Good luck, I hope you can find something.

ClearCreek
I can't change any mistakes I've made up to this point. All I can do is hope someone takes pity on us and helps us out.

Check out walk in areas. They will likely be one of your only options. Call the local game warden or biologist too. The may know land owners who will help you out.

Check out walk in areas. They will likely be one of your only options. Call the local game warden or biologist too. The may know land owners who will help you out.
I was actually going to call the local office in Gillette on Monday. I was kind of under the impression that type 2 could not be used in walk in areas but I was going to confirm that.

Walk in areas are generally private land that the game and fish pays a fee to receive public access to (that is what your "access yes" donation goes towards). I am unaware if that counts as "private" in the eyes of the G&F, I would call the local game warden and ask.

Your type 2 allows "any" antelope. I know that you won't want to, but if you get desperate and your about to eat tag soup because you can't get permission to harvest a buck without paying a large trespass fee, ask landowners if you can harvest a doe pronghorn on their land, and they are more likely to allow you to do so. A buddy of mine got permission to harvest doe pronghorn this last year in area 102. That way, you will at least get some pronghorn meat, and get to hunt.

Otherwise, practice your hat in hand speech, because your likely going to do it many, many times. I have hunted up there before and done that song and dance, it is even somewhat challenging getting permission to harvest doe whitetail deer at times.

Again, good luck. hopefully you will find a kind soul up there. Those areas have high draw odds for good reason. They are always my 3rd choice as a resident, I may not be able to get a good buck, but I always get a tag and at least a small opportunity to harvest a buck.

Walk in areas are generally private land that the game and fish pays a fee to receive public access to (that is what your "access yes" donation goes towards). I am unaware if that counts as "private" in the eyes of the G&F, I would call the local game warden and ask.

Your type 2 allows "any" antelope. I know that you won't want to, but if you get desperate and your about to eat tag soup because you can't get permission to harvest a buck without paying a large trespass fee, ask landowners if you can harvest a doe pronghorn on their land, and they are more likely to allow you to do so. A buddy of mine got permission to harvest doe pronghorn this last year in area 102. That way, you will at least get some pronghorn meat, and get to hunt.

Otherwise, practice your hat in hand speech, because your likely going to do it many, many times. I have hunted up there before and done that song and dance, it is even somewhat challenging getting permission to harvest doe whitetail deer at times.

Again, good luck. hopefully you will find a kind soul up there. Those areas have high draw odds for good reason. They are always my 3rd choice as a resident, I may not be able to get a good buck, but I always get a tag and at least a small opportunity to harvest a buck.
Thanks for the suggestions! I am aware of the walk in areas as we were planning on using them originally. That was when I thought I'd be hunting BLM. It wasn't our first choice either to get 23 but we got it so just trying to make due with what I have.

Last edited:

I've had good luck public land hunting units further east. But in 23, if your tag allows you on public land, access is scarce and be out early in a well-scouted area opening morning or everything will be either shot or run off onto private land. If your tag is truly restricted to private land, be prepared to pay a handsome trespass fee. I couldn't believe the fees I saw posted on signs for the ranches we drove past/through. Such things are making this a rich man's sport.

We had a public land mule deer tag last year which included Unit 23. We spent opening day shooting antelope further east. Getting there the second day of the season, the limited public land we could access was nothing but antelope gut piles from opening day and additional animals people shot and made no apparent attempt to recover. It was disgusting. After dark lots of deer wherever private land met the road...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.