Help in my decision

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rdd, Jan 12, 2005.

1. rdd

rdd Member

I have a Ruger .223 that is one year old that shoots fairly well. It has a Swift 4-12x40AO scope on it right now. I got a gift certificate to our sporting goods store for $300 and I am debating whether to trade up to a Remington 700 BDL or, just keep the gun and put a better scope on it. I would be looking at a Nikon Monarhch or a Leupold Vari-x II 4-12x40AO.

Any opinions are welcome.

2. MU Ag Rho

MU Ag Rho Well-Known Member

I would do both. Try to sell your current rifle/scope package and take that money and your gift certificate and have a new package. I am a die hard Remington and Leupold man, but you could buy a Savage for less than the Remmy and you would have some pretty good results. In my opinion you could have a $2500.00 rifle with a $50.00 scope and the whole package is worth $50.00, but you take a beat up old rifle (still good rifling) and throw a good Leupold on it and you will have something. just my .02

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I've had this problem many times...Each time I decide to save a little more...Keep the savage...Save a few more bucks...Then get the BDL. Now you have two rifles. It's got to the point I have several rifles now. Ask yourself this? Do I really need the BDL right now!

Just a thought

Joe

4. M1A

M1A Member

You can never have to many GUNS.Have a good day.

5. thocon

thocon Well-Known Member

You said Ruger? What kind?Does it shoot good?Whats wrong with it?Well i would say better what you have,new barrel,or a new scope.I don't like the Rem,the Savages will normally shoot better out of the box.So i'm saying unless you a lucky soul what you have,is as good as a new Rem.But if itchin for a new gun,and can't afford a GOOD one,start another piggy bank,to fix the one your fixxin to buy.

6. Nel24

Nel24 Member

I Agree with thocon, dont settle on a gun, save up until you have the gun you want. You'll be happier in the end and remember that guns last a long time. You can take that investment over ten fifteen years and its not so much in the long run.

You also can't have too many guns!!