Help identify this powder

I tried the pulling Bullets a long time ago to find out what was in hornady 32 grain Superformance for 204 ruger a friend did it before me and called them and they would not give up the secret I have 21 different powers and a couple of boxes of 32g hornady and I can get close but that ammo is amazing

One of the aspects when trying to match a factory load is we sometimes overlook the SAAMI COAL they are using which can contribute to one of the variables that can affect the load you are trying to achieve. I've added a print out from Hodgdon for the .223Rem for the 40BT and they have a lot of powders and loads to look at that may help you decide on direction to take. I noticed none of the loads reached 3700 fps with 24" barrel which was interesting in comparison to the Nosler factory loads being 3700 fps with 22" barrel.

I also added the Nosler load data link for the .223 off their website.
Nosler load link: Nosler .223 Rem load data

Take a look at Accurate powders as well, they have quite a few loads that go over 3700 with the 40BT.
Accurate Powders Link: Accurate Powders Load Data

Alliant powders lists one load for the 40BT and it is over 3800 fps in 24" barrel with 1200-R powder which may be closer to what you are looking for but availability?
Alliant powder link: Alliant Powder 223 Rem 40 BT

Outside is 94 degrees, so sitting in AC so this was something to do! :rolleyes:
Good Luck!

Attachments

• Hodgdon.Reloading.Nosler.40-BT.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 223-Remington-40gr.pdf
    807.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Accurate.Powder-223Rem.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 145
  • Alliant Powder.223Rem-Print Recipe.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 169
When I first got my 30-378 I too disassembled a few rounds just to see if I could determine what powder weatherby was using no clue! After a phone call and about an hour on the phone with the fine folks at weatherby I learned according to them they use a double base powder in a lot of their ammo. And that's about all they would really tell me 😝. And to please not try to mix my own batch . Didn't plan on it but would have liked to have been able to buy about 30 lbs of whatever it was.

I couldn't match what Barnes was getting from their 300 RUM loads and called them to see what they were using. They told me nothing you and I can buy. It's a proprietary blend. As I said before, in the load you're working with TAC will give you very close the same as you're seeing on the factory loads. Another that will be real close is H335.

I have always been told to never try and guess what powder is used in factory ammo. Accident waiting to happen. I know you will get plenty of suggestions on what to try. Been to a few br matches and many are starting to use accurate LT-32 with good results in smaller capacity case. Tried some in my 223 and was very happy with results. .2-.3 regularly with occasionally slip in under .2 with 70 grn. berger vld.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.