help identify scope rings...

Bigeclipse

These scope rings only have 2 screws and not the typical 4...could that be a problem for a 300 win mag?

Attachments

• 20140912_190427.jpg
    20140912_190427.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20140912_190439.jpg
    20140912_190439.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20140912_190448.jpg
    20140912_190448.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 84
They look like the old Weaver variety that have been around since the 70/80's. I always considered them cheap, they were made of aluminum and easily warped.
You probably should upgrade to a newer set. Not necessarily steel but newer. There are many different styles out there, just depends on what tickles your fancy.
That looks like a Savage rifle you have there. I used a Leupold Long Range STD base on mine with Burris Signature STD rings.
This base has 1/4 degree of elevation milled in. I read or figured that out to be 1.3 feet @ 100yds. The rings also have the synthetic inserts in .000, .005, .010 or .020 and allow you to add even more MOA to your long range set up. This set up, depending on cartridge and scope, can allow the shooter the ability to dial out to 1200yds.
They are solid rings and mounts, do not require shimming or lapping of the scope and are a lot cheaper that the "tacti-cool" picatinny system. Good luck with your decision and happy shooting. JohnnyK.

They look like the old Weaver variety that have been around since the 70/80's. I always considered them cheap, they were made of aluminum and easily warped.
You probably should upgrade to a newer set. Not necessarily steel but newer. There are many different styles out there, just depends on what tickles your fancy.
That looks like a Savage rifle you have there. I used a Leupold Long Range STD base on mine with Burris Signature STD rings.
This base has 1/4 degree of elevation milled in. I read or figured that out to be 1.3 feet @ 100yds. The rings also have the synthetic inserts in .000, .005, .010 or .020 and allow you to add even more MOA to your long range set up. This set up, depending on cartridge and scope, can allow the shooter the ability to dial out to 1200yds.
They are solid rings and mounts, do not require shimming or lapping of the scope and are a lot cheaper that the "tacti-cool" picatinny system. Good luck with your decision and happy shooting. JohnnyK.

Do you have a flat back action or round? Mine is the older flat back so new bases are hard to find. The weird thing is the gun shop put these on the rifle about 4 years ago for my brother and i thought they were new. If not wont be going back there ever again.

Good point, forgot about that.
I actually have both. My .300WM is the older Savage w/flat rear. I have Burris Dual Dovetails on it. No MOA built in to either the mounts or rings and I have dialed it to 1000yds and back with no problems using a $300 Nikon BuckMaster (cheap, by some standards). I have considered upgrading the rings/mounts and scope to something different.
I haven't bought in to the picatinny mounting system (as you could probably tell) yet, but have looked at the EGW bases a couple of times.
I have a newer Savage w/round rear (Accu-Trigger) in 6.5-284 Norma that has the Leupold LR STD base w/Burris Signature STD rings. It is stamped Model 12 on the barrel but it is actually a long action.
I'm not saying the gun shop put old rings on the rifle. The rings you have were popular back in the day, you can still buy them new, but they're not marketed like the Mil-spec's are.
Either way you go you should be OK. Most rings/mounts don't have a high failure rate, if they do they don't stay on the market long. JohnnyK.

Those rings are Tasco and are faily cheap, as is the two piece Weaver base. If you are wanting a scope mounting system that doesn't allow movement under recoil I'd recommend something different. Most guys are using a one piece quality Weaver/picatinny base (some with built in cant to extend the yardage capability of your scope's elevation range) and good rings such as the Burris Extreme Tactical or more expensive ones from Nightforce and others. I'm also an advocate of lapping your scope rings once mounted to allow for the most surface contact between scope and ring as possible. Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases are also a good system.

IMO there is one Best scope ring and that is any ring made by Talley manufacturing. My preference is for the light weight one piece base/rings when a 20 moa rail os not needed. I would change those rings regardless of who made them.
ToA

IMO there is one Best scope ring and that is any ring made by Talley manufacturing. My preference is for the light weight one piece base/rings when a 20 moa rail os not needed. I would change those rings regardless of who made them.
ToA

Do you think the talley's being aluminum can handle the recoil of a 300 win mag?

Those rings are Tasco and are faily cheap, as is the two piece Weaver base. If you are wanting a scope mounting system that doesn't allow movement under recoil I'd recommend something different. Most guys are using a one piece quality Weaver/picatinny base (some with built in cant to extend the yardage capability of your scope's elevation range) and good rings such as the Burris Extreme Tactical or more expensive ones from Nightforce and others. I'm also an advocate of lapping your scope rings once mounted to allow for the most surface contact between scope and ring as possible. Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases are also a good system.

I have found an EGW 1-piece base that goes on Savage flat back receivers...it is a picatinny style. thoughts?

I have seen mixed opinions on them. Some like them and others dislike them. The only reason I can remember that someone disliked them was because they were aluminum. Opinions vary on the subject. JohnnyK.

The talley light weight one piece mounts can easily handle recoil from a mag. Have them on every gun i own. up to 338 mag

ToA

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.