Help- I’m squeamish

Look up elk gutless methods on YouTube. Might be surprised how clean it is. But would recommend having someone with you to help anytime you go elk hunting.

You can use the "Indian Gut" technique. You can bone out an animal by cutting the fur off the spine and pulling it down, then cutting the meat off the bones from all four quarters and the backstrap. You can even cut at the flank, reach in and cut out the tenderloin. You don't even have to mess with the guts and it usually just gets your hands bloddy instead of your entire arms. Many backpack hunters use this methood so as not to pack out a bunch of bones. Maybe I haven't described it well but it doesn't waste any meat if you do it right. I bet you can find it on youtube.
Desert Ed, this is what I do partner. This is quick with virtual no blood impact as it is left inside the cavity untouched. Sorry if this was already mentioned, but jump on Google or YouTube and search "gutless method for deer and elk". You will find many videos documenting the method step by step to get familiar with it. Then just go with buddies that use it to help, and you'll be a confident pro after your first animal. Good luck!

I had a buddy years ago wanting to go deer hunting. I put him on a 8 point he killed it. We went to dress it, and as soon as I unzipped the buck, my buddy was puking. I couldn't stop laughing, he wanted to mount it, and when it came time to dress the cape and skull plate, he was out, he couldn't handle it. He hasn't went deer hunting since. Lol

I am fairly squeamish myself but hunt deer and elk yearly, I'm always on the verge of not being able to do it but as soon as I cut in and start getting bloody it just goes away! Take your buddy that's offered to help, do what you can and if you can't have him help out.

I carry a pack of baby wipes and stuff it in a hole if I make a bad shot or it exits the gut area. It just keeps the extra juices from flowing freely and I change my latex gloves often to keep the meat clean. It will get easier the more you do it and I would jump at the chance to learn from as much people willing to teach you. There is more than a hundred ways to process an animal, just use the easiest, cleanest and fastest way that suits your situation best. Depending on the size, location, position of the animal you might utilize a certain technique. I have great respect for you to wanting to clean your own animals. Good luck

Hello all, long time shooter and fisherman (catch and release). I would love to start hunting elk, but I'm not too keen with blood and guts. Sad, but true. Several buddies have offered to help me clean it, but I kinda feel if I shoot it I should process it.
Anybody else ever had a problem getting used to blood and guts? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Hello all, long time shooter and fisherman (catch and release). I would love to start hunting elk, but I'm not too keen with blood and guts. Sad, but true. Several buddies have offered to help me clean it, but I kinda feel if I shoot it I should process it.
Anybody else ever had a problem getting used to blood and guts? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Hi Desert ED.

Don't worry about it, as some other members mentioned have one of your budies help you or try the guthless method.

I have a hunting buddy who can not clean a deer even if his life depended on it.

A couple of year ago he got to camp with a deer before me and my brother and my wife who was at camp with our newborn noticed the deer hadn't been gutted yet and asked why he hadn't cleaned it and he said I don't know how and I just can't stand it so my wife had him help her hang it up on a branch of a mesquite tree and she gutted it and cleaned it.

In our hunting camp we share the kills so we all pitch in on the work, that said my wife got the ribs, she loves them grilled.

Just get a couple good buddies to take you and you'll get over it not long after the rub the blood on your face from your first kill! Lol

Everyone has something that makes them squeamish. Blood and guts don't bother me, as long as not gut shot, but taking care of nature's call on the side of a mountain makes me gag, along with dirty diaper or fresh cat turd in a litter box. Personally, if the latter things don't bother you, you're well on your way to conquering the blood and guts issue.

To get by the odor if cleaned or shot improperly place some Vicks Vaporub into each nostril, a trick used my some LEOs and emergency personnel.
Be sure to make sure it is tightly sealed before hunting. The scent is strong and will notify everything in the forest for miles around that something strange is in the forest.

Everyone has something that makes them squeamish. Blood and guts don't bother me, as long as not gut shot, but taking care of nature's call on the side of a mountain makes me gag, along with dirty diaper or fresh cat turd in a litter box. Personally, if the latter things don't bother you, you're well on your way to conquering the blood and guts issue.
you need to get a Job on a Ranch/farm during Calving season. hope you would never have to but find a cow and calf and the Calf needs to be turned to come out. Stick your arm in as far as you can, Yep you ear is kissing those Butt Muscles on that cow turn that calf and pull it out, you not only saved 2 lives but now you are over your little Girl Sqebbies.

Another thing If you are going to catch a fish and torture it why are you releasing it??????? the stress on that fish is terrible. if you are just going to release it get a Fish tank and watch the fish. stop abusing the poor fish.

Find a mentor that understands your situation, and have them bring you along through the process, even if it is assisting with a deer or something smaller first. I assure you after the fact, knowing how every ounce of meat was handled from start to finish is both reassuring and rewarding. You can get through it, and you will be a better outdoorsman for it. Kudos for addressing it before pulling the trigger.

I remember the first time I shot some rabbits for lunch. My new wife and I were out target shooting and we became hungry.
I shot a couple rabbits, skinned cleaned and poured a bit of water to clean off the hairs and rinse inside. She was surprised and happy her husband could do all that in just a few minutes. The fire was till burning and not even close to coals.

This was when rabbits were considered pests and you didn't need a hunting license, lead free bullets, a coarse in animal psychiatry, permission from the governor, the land owner, the BLM and especially a written note from your mother.

To get by the odor if cleaned or shot improperly place some Vicks Vaporub into each nostril, a trick used my some LEOs and emergency personnel.
Be sure to make sure it is tightly sealed before hunting. The scent is strong and will notify everything in the forest for miles around that something strange is in the forest.

Absolutely good advice, it also helps cover up the blood smell. Just a lil on your upper lip will do fine. And it does wonders for helping in a situation where you're squeamish. It's a staple at the medical examiner's office and funeral homes as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.