Help getting started with 257 wby???

passthru69

I am new here, I used to think I knew it all, but I guess not!!!

I recently re-acquired my All Weather 257 Mark V from my ex-wife(long story). I have not used it, and I am looking for a starting load using IMR 4350, I have access to as much as I need(dad's stock). It will be used for mississippi and kansas whitetails. I have used my 1st love for years(300 Wby Accumark). Just looking for a secondary gun???

Thanks in advance,
Tommy

I would probably not use the 4350 load at all. Like LRsickle said look at some slower burning powders. I have been using Retumbo in my .25-06AI and getting really good results and its a smaller case then the Wby. Give LRS's suggestion or something in the burn rate of Retumbo and the 115 grain Berger a try and I think you will be amazed at the results. Just a suggestion.

Thanks guys, I'll get some RL22 and try what you have had luck with. I'd rather steer away from the 4350 if someone else has had better results with another powder. I'll let yall know what happens.

P.S. Am I ok with the IMR 4350 in my 300, or is there anything better? I have been using about 81 grs behind a Hornady 165 BTSP.

Working up loads is tough for me, I don't get to shoot as much as I used to. City people just HATE it when we shoot our guns!!!

Tommy

on my 257wby , 20 year ago , i use only imr-4350 and 100grs bullets, on a barrel of 24" a get 3470fps average 10 shots and the weatherby cases works nice for 8 reloads, the load of 66.0grs of 4350 and primer cci-250 and 100grs bullets is very accurate.

now i use imr-7828 on all my weatherbys, 240, 257, 270, 300 and 340.

on my 257wby i use 73grs imr-7828 and 100grs partition bullet and gets 3520fps average 10 shots.

so remember that mr. Roy Weatherby use on the begining a imr-4350 and h4831 for all his loads.

best regards gun)

H-1000 72gr. I have gone higher but you do it at your own risk.
Fed 215 mag primer
115 Ballistic tip (no it does not blow up on the animals) kills them like lightning.
3.305 OAL
Weatherby Brass

I have a friend using RL-25 in Vangaurd rifle that gets great accuracy in this caliber and I think the load is in the new Nosler book.

Work up to 72.5 grains with a 100gr TSX. I get 3725 fps out of this load. Keep in mind that it's a very hot load and RL22 is temperture sensitive. So, on a hot day I get some ejector scuff marks on the back of my cases. It shoots really well in my Vangaurd. I'm sure it's hard on my barrel but I consider barrels consumables on some of my guns anyway. :D

Thanks for the input guys, it has been very helpful. This seems to be a great site.

Thanks
Tommy
icon14.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts