help for new lr rig

the saum is about the same as the wsm. a little shorter maybe. im not sure about the action.i know that you will get tham into a short action but there may be feeding issiues or you may have to single feed. havent looked at it too much. i have my 7mmwsm on a long actio but plan to put it onto the short as soon as i finished load testing the 223. want to see if the barrels act the same on different actions.

i would just shoot the 30wsm. i mean why not. i think that will be good on elk atleast to 800m. once that seem like an easy sht then go for an edge.
i love my rifle basics trigger, but i havent played with a jewel either.
have fun

I hate to sound so indecisive...but i kind of am and all the new info is great but it definately changes my decision. i was just snooping around a little on other threads here on LRH and i found one where Kirby Allen was working on 7mm rounds [http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/7mm-vs-7stw-vs-7rum-33134/].

long story short he said if you handload the plain old 7mm rem mag you can easily out perform the 7mm wsm and saum. obviously the rem mag falls short of the stw which falls short of the rum but all things considered i am going to be reloading and i can get the savage 111 long range hunter in 7mm mag from the get go and start customizing from there. is this a good starting point?

like i said this is based off of info known at the moment if you guys see a fallacy in my logic or choices at all PLEASE let me know!!!

and just throwing it out there as well what kind of scopes would you recommend? i would like (fingers crossed) adjustable zoom and parallax adjustment but those are more bells and whistles then neccessities. any prefferences? are leupald, night force, us optics good choices if so which ones? would you go in MOA or mils?

i cant thank you guys enough for all the imput so far it really means alot and ive been learning so much so fast its great...but it will be better when im posting pics of those 1/2 moa groups with the gun you guys helped design sitting right next to it :D

Last edited:
Younggun,
You are completely on the the right track with the 7mmrm. My 13 year old son is also hooked on this long range stuff just like you and the rest of us on here and we went with a cheap savage 7mmrm for him that he is going to build up this winter. In my opinion you dont even have to spend the extra money on the savage LRH. Just get yourself a basic savage or stevens chambered in 7mmrm and shoot the heck out of it, you will be changing the barrel stock ect. down the road anyway so why spend more on the action than you have to. We have 3 basic savages two in 7mmrm and one in 270 and they all shoot 1/2 - 3/4 moa with reloads. Have fun and keep the bullets going down range, Jason

I hate to sound so indecisive...but i kind of am and all the new info is great but it definately changes my decision. i was just snooping around a little on other threads here on LRH and i found one where Kirby Allen was working on 7mm rounds [http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/7mm-vs-7stw-vs-7rum-33134/].

long story short he said if you handload the plain old 7mm rem mag you can easily out perform the 7mm wsm and saum. obviously the rem mag falls short of the stw which falls short of the rum but all things considered i am going to be reloading and i can get the savage 111 long range hunter in 7mm mag from the get go and start customizing from there. is this a good starting point?

like i said this is based off of info known at the moment if you guys see a fallacy in my logic or choices at all PLEASE let me know!!!

and just throwing it out there as well what kind of scopes would you recommend? i would like (fingers crossed) adjustable zoom and parallax adjustment but those are more bells and whistles then neccessities. any prefferences? are leupald, night force, us optics good choices if so which ones? would you go in MOA or mils?

i cant thank you guys enough for all the imput so far it really means alot and ive been learning so much so fast its great...but it will be better when im posting pics of those 1/2 moa groups with the gun you guys helped design sitting right next to it :D

My thoughts exactly! Good luck. I took almost the same road, except for that I bought the 116 Savage with detachable box.

younggun, you've received some good advice already and I'm going to throw mine in now....

Bullet - 7mm is an awesome bullet choice. Find a cartridge that will send the 180 grain bullets (like the Berger VLD) at 3000+fps. That will be potent elk medicine to 900 yards.

Optics - like everyone has recommended, buy the best you can afford. My rifles have Leupold MK4s on them. Nightforce and US Optics are upgrades from the Leupold.

Stocks - lots of choices there and it depend on what you want to do with the rifle as to which you might choose.

Actions - Remington vs. Savage...an age old debate. Both are great. I lean towards the Remington as EVERYONE makes aftermarket parts for them and every gunsmith will work on them.

My rifles might give you some ideas....

My 280 is my carry-rifle.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

My 260 is a dedicated long-range rig.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

The next build will be a 300RUM. It will be very similar to the 260 except that it will be able to take big critters (Like elk) at 1000 yards.

Since it sounds as though you're giving some consideration to buying a factory rifle and upgrading as your budget will allow. Here are my recommendations to maximize the accuracy of a factory rifle....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

Hope that helps!

Dang it Younggun! WTH are you waiting for? Go get the dang gun. It does not matter which caliber and what others say, get what you need/want/can afford and be done with it ... for now, because it is not going to be your last gun ... don't kid yourself. :):rolleyes::D:cool:.

Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

I don't know if this will change your mind, but replacement stocks for the Savage long action in the new center-feed design are very limited. As in the ONLY one I can find available is a made to order one from stockade. Now as I hear it told they make a decent stock and they aren't too pricey either. I've also heard others say that you can modify one made for the older staggered-feed la's but I can't verify that. On the other hand there are a good # of replacement stocks for the new center-feeds in the short action flavor. If I would have known this before hand I might have gone for a 300wsm instead of the 7mag. HTH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.