Help Fine Tuning 6BR

I don't think it will hurt. I would try it then like others suggested try a different primer. I started jammed then went in .050 increments to settle on this load. Didn't get to finish it when Rona hit. This was my son shooting last Saturday 30.6 grains of Varget, 450 CCI , 105 Berger VLD Match .030 off at 600 yards. Running around 2880fps. I'll have to look at E.S. I was thinking around 25. Keep us posted and good luck.
Dang wind. Every shooter's nemesis!

I always like to do a pretty solid seating depth test prior to calling it quits on any other component, for me it all depends on what the guns intended use is where I start. Usually I would stay .010 off if for hunting and if it was for punching paper or steel I would seat into about .010 and then work out in .010 increments out to .050 off and pick the one that shoots the best at then I go .005 either way to fine tune. I usually do this near a middle charge weight. I then test this with my preferred powder charge at 500-600 yds to see how well it holds up. Here are a couple 5 shot groups I shot at 500 yds testing different seating depths in my 6 br with 107's velocity was right around 2780 with 29.2 gr varget and cci 41's I have seen to many 100 yd groups blow up at 600 yds to trust them.

IMG_7111.jpg

I decided to go beyond my typical 30 grains of Varget in the 6BR today. 5 shot groups at 100 yards. The .592" group is terrible but do you think seating depth will close it up? I ask because SD was very low, ES was low and velocity was averaging 2865. I would love to make this load shoot! If so, which way should I go and in what increments? These were shot with .020 jump. Pic is rotated 90 degrees to right.....

View attachment 277518

Never would have thought of using H4350 but I will sure give it a try! Naturally, I got rid of all my H4350 when I got away from the 6.5 CM :(
I still have 7 pounds of that jug you sold me and would gladly trade for some H1000...😉

Seriously, don't think I can offer anything beyond what's been offered thus far. I'd look at seating depth or primers myself. The latter may be tough if you don't already have a ready supply of assorted primers.

I started playing around with a 6 dasher. It's a 26 inch 1:7.5 Bart in light Palma built on a savage target action. Life got in the way and it's been over a year since I've shot it. It's a fun little rifle where minimum tuning has given 5 shot groups in the .3s to 400 yards.

I'm getting about the same high 2800 fps from a 26 inch bart.

Last edited:
I wouldnt put much faith in the es - sd of a 5 shot string, if it was low over 20 rounds then it is a winner powder charge wise. Seating depth will make a significant change, running a test with 4 thou steps and shot at 200+ and you may find a better seating depth.

As you can see from the posts, every rifle likes something different. When I do seating depth testing, I start .020 in the lands and work back in .003 increments. Both of my Krieger's like .007 too .010 into the lands with both the 105 and 95 VLD's. Then I revisit the powder charge in 2 tenths of a grain increments both higher and lower. Also there is some good info here:

And BTW, if you have the means to seat bullets at the range, I load everything at home to the longest length and then seat in increments at the range. That way you don't wind up with a bunch of rounds that are too short. Then if you hit the tune, you can re-seat a few more rounds at that length to verify.

Last edited:
Shot 7 5-shot groups at 200 yards today. Seating depths were from .003 jam to .015 jump in .003 increments. All were loaded with 30 grains of Varget. I'm a little surprised at the difference seating depth makes. I did rush thing a bit since rain was supposed to be coming. Mirage was bad and try to think up some more excuses...... 😆

Honestly though, I'm a pretty confident trigger presser and there is no way some of those wild shots were me.

The 35 shot string ended up with an ES of 29 and SD of 6.7. Average velocity was 2801 FPS. Virgin Lapua brass, 105 Hybrids, CCI 450s.

IMG_1586.jpeg

So now whatcha gonna do?:rolleyes:
Think I'll do the same test at 30.8 just to see what it does........And because I'm bored. Had too much rain to go shoot at my long range place so I'm limited to 200. Just wish I could shoot prone there instead of off the lousy benches:(

Think I'll do the same test at 30.8 just to see what it does........And because I'm bored. Had too much rain to go shoot at my long range place so I'm limited to 200. Just wish I could shoot prone there instead of off the lousy benches:(
And I'll definitely shoot some more of the 30 grain at .003 jump just to verify the previous results.......

I do things a bit differently, but let us know how you make out.
Just out of curiosity, load 5 rounds with the 30.0 and seat the bullet .006 in the lands if you have enough brass to do so....just as an experiment. Also keep in mind that things can change a little bit once the brass is fire formed.

Last edited:
I do things a bit differently, but let us know how you make out.
Just out of curiosity, load 5 rounds with the 30.0 and seat the bullet .006 in the lands if you have enough brass to do so.
Will do. I have lots of brass. Unfortuately, I have no means of seating bullets at the range.....