Help eye sight reticle distortion

dbeard

I'm in my middle 50's my eye docter said there is nothing they can do for the destortion in my eyesight,said it comes with age,eye drying out and causes tears.My problem is I have a AV 4x14 TDS swarovski.The lines are wavy just in the center of the cross and the drop comp lines are wavy.I'm wanting to set up a new gun for an elk hunt this fall.A browning A bolt 300 wsm.Does anyone have any ideas on a scope I would be better off with?I have shoot many mule deer at 350 yards and 1 elk at 250 with the 270 abolt with the TDS swarovski.I'll be honest it would have to be perfict conditions and down to the last hour of hunting before I would shoot 500 yards.I do practice at 400,I've been going to Wyoming for 20 years hunting same ranch.To me 350 yards is a darn long hunting shot.I would like to still have the good glass.Was thinking an illuminated dot might work??????The swarovski illuminated are over $3000,Thats a little to much for me for a scope.I would like to stay in the $1200 to $1500 range.Anyone else have this problem?

Do you wear glasses? I have a problem with some scopes that have a thick cross hair..I went to the fine cross hair and it works a lot better..For me anyway and i'm 64..I have a weaver t-36 I use..

A second opinion never hurt anybody. Eye "doctor" means different things to different folks. The training overlaps, but is different between Optometrist, and an Ophthalmologist. I'm not knocking either one, but some work better together than others when it comes to referring patients as needed.

Me thinks ur I doc has a couple of screws loose.. . .:rolleyes:

I have macular degeneration w/similar but not exact symptoms as you explained. There isn't much that can be done for that. Get a good eye supplement. Bausch & Lomb makes a good one. It'll ****** degeneration, some time stop it and some times reverse it.

Mine has been holding steady for years.

Symptom is that where ever you are focused on the reticle it will be crooked. When I move my focus from post to post, one mil dot at a time, the reticle looks like a crawling snake. It's consistent so I can still shoot pretty darn decent.

However it does reduce brightness. :rolleyes:

If your prob is dryness or something outside of your eye, I'd see an different doc.

Roy - I have macular degeneration also and take I Caps daily. Am interested in the Bausch and Lomb drops you mention. Went to their web site, there are many different supplements. Which are you referring to? Thanks, Gene

Roy - I have macular degeneration also and take I Caps daily. Am interested in the Bausch and Lomb drops you mention. Went to their web site, there are many different supplements. Which are you referring to? Thanks, Gene

Geez, sorry, I don't know. I get my stuff from the VA. I'm 70 :rolleyes:

I Caps are quite popular. Should work fine. . .

Lutein is supposed to be the magic ingredient.

I was checking a scope this morning and discovered the reticle was straight. :)

I'll take it for as long as it stays. :)

The olympic archery champ is offically blind.But shoots records.With good shooting form and practice you should be able to shoot good groups by centering on mass to be shot.In archery or pistol with iron sights,either target,pin/sight has to be primary focus.Your eye cant focus at both.I always shot sight or pin as primary.So target would always be blurred.Main focus on pistol was proper site alingment,trigger control and other form factors,same for archery.You keep good form and the shoots follow threw.

I had cateract surgery 3 years ago (replacement of new lenses in eyes) I have 20/20 vision,but still wear glasses to see close.I've been going to a Vitreous &Retina spec.I have had the max shots in the eye (shots raise eye pressure) so I have been on Nevanac drops 3 times a day that is holding and repairing the infection to a point that there is distortion only in a smaller area on a grid map.I have asked about the scope problem and the eye spec. said that will probually never go away.It's like you said Roy the lines are wavy.I would like to get away from the guessing.Thats why I was asking about a illuminated dot.If I would look through a scope with a dot and it is not in the center but is sighted in that way would it be true?What about a ballistic turrent?The problem is there is no where to go around me to look through the higher end scopes and if you talk illumination your really out of luck.What does the glass of a Trijjicon compare to?

I had cateract surgery 3 years ago (replacement of new lenses in eyes) I have 20/20 vision,but still wear glasses to see close.I've been going to a Vitreous &Retina spec.I have had the max shots in the eye (shots raise eye pressure) so I have been on Nevanac drops 3 times a day that is holding and repairing the infection to a point that there is distortion only in a smaller area on a grid map.I have asked about the scope problem and the eye spec. said that will probually never go away.It's like you said Roy the lines are wavy.I would like to get away from the guessing.Thats why I was asking about a illuminated dot.If I would look through a scope with a dot and it is not in the center but is sighted in that way would it be true?What about a ballistic turrent?The problem is there is no where to go around me to look through the higher end scopes and if you talk illumination your really out of luck.What does the glass of a Trijjicon compare to?

I had CAT surgery first in 2005 and the second eye done in 2008. Wehn from 20/30 & 20/200..!!!! To 20/12 1/2 with both eyes open. Talk about a difference!!

As far as the center of the eye failing you...what about the reticule where there is no center to it.....heavy crosshairs come from left and right...also from top and bottom and its a clear area in the center. When looking thru them your eye automatically seeks the center. Kinda like using a peep sight....your eyes just naturally positions the front sight in the middle...

Sully, That's the way I was thinking, but only adding an illuminated dot to help with pin pointing a point for zero.What I'm afraid of is the use of a ballistic turrent.Don't know what will happen with adjusting yardage.I like the looks of the Trijion post with the illuminated triangle but am also worried about being able to always hold the scope level without cross hairs and ballistic turrent and the quality of the glass.I found zeiss has a illuminated #60 in a conquest duralyt 3-12x50.Any help would be great.

I'd talk with your eye doctor to see if you could bring your rifle in so he could get you a prescription that lets you see through your scope better. It may not work, but when I was shooting Highpower I took my Bushmaster DCM into his office to take his measurements so I could see the front sight better and it worked. I was near sighted though and did not have macular degeneration.

joseph

I'm glad no one else here has had any problems with reticule destortion.I'll guess anyone with my problem does't shoot long range,so it makes sense they wouldn't be on this site.Does anyone have any ideas on any web sites or contacs that I could check with?It really is a problem that I just know there has to be something that will help.Thank you

I recommend that you double up on magnification, and go all the way to 20X. I think the illuminated center dot is a good idea. If you go with Trijicon that means the TR23, which comes in three reticle options. I recommend you go with the TR23-2 and the green dot. Green has higher visibility than amber, especially against fur.

The mildot reticle will be more useful for long range A 20Xi mildot scope will have thick reticle features to help you level the scope. The illuminated dot is about 0.5 mil. That will cover about a 9 inch diameter at the target at 500 yds. That is large, but still allows center of mass aiming. Trijicon Accupoint scopes have low glare and excellent contrast, which will help.

These scope have only +/-20 MOA of reticle adjustment. That's enough for at least 800 yds, if the scope is boresighted. I also recommend that you use Burris Signature rings to accurately boresight your scope for maximum elevation adjustment. They also won't scratch the scope tube, which will help maintain resale value if this scheme doesn't work out for you You will also need a boresight collimator.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.