Help diagnosing these groups/my fundamentals

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
Bravo 4 knows his stuff and is spot on. Only thing I can add is thoughts on recoil. Since it doesn't happen with his .308 seems obvious to several folks above that the rifle is inconsistent in recoiling. Have to ask: Does this thing have a brake on it? The good ones help a lot to not only lower recoil, but control muzzle rise, and help the gun to recoil more inline with itself. Shouldn't matter with perfect form, but I swear it does with good form.

Rifle has a 3 port brake from hawkins.

You might try loosening up and lightening up and let your rifle move.
When you set up your rifle, get your bipod legs settled into the dirt, get your bag under the rear and firmed up, breathing slowed but steady don't lean way into the rifle but just take the slack out of the bipod. Pull back on the gun now and watch where it tracks, a lot of the time with double grouping you'll see it track out of wack and you need to get the system unloaded and into a neutral forward position so that rifle comes straight back under recoil and tracks.
For me my fat pumpkin laying on a stock or a firm grip does bad things, now I I barely feel the stock with my cheek and palm, the slack is barely out of the bipod, no swivel studs, free hand is not touching the stock at any point during recoil.
Check tracking and dry fire then let it ride, shoot small!!

Last edited:
You might try loosening up and lightening up and let your rifle move.
When you set up your rifle, get your bipod legs settled into the dirt, get your bag under the rear and firmed up, breathing slowed but steady don't lean way into the rifle but just take the slack out of the bipod. Pull back on the gun now and watch where it tracks, a lot of the time with double grouping you'll see it track out of wack and you need to get the system unloaded and into a neutral forward position so that rifle comes straight back under recoil and tracks.
For me my fat pumpkin laying on a stock or a firm grip does bad things, now I I barely feel the stock with my cheek and palm, the slack is barely out of the bipod, no swivel studs, free hand is not touching the stock at any point during recoil.
Check tracking and dry fire then let it ride, shoot small!!

I'd never heard that technique of setting NPA and pulling the stock back into shoulder to ensure it will recoil straight back. Pretty dang good idea. Still playing with a firm load vs light load on bipod, either way, I need to be more consistent obviously.

Watched a video about cheel weld and recoil management that made sense to me and seems to correlate with a right handed shooting high and left with too firm a cheek weld, pushing the stock down and right as the rifle recoils.

Ya'll are awesome.

Have you tried it with an iron front rest and sandbags off a bench? If that stops it, got to be the way you are loading the bipod or form prone. Best guess is rear bag or loading. Something is inconsistant. No one here has seen you shoot so we are all guessing. Best we can do is try and eliminate things it might be. It could even be bedding. I had a rifle that did this once and that ended up being the problem. I know how frustrating this is for sure.

I'd never heard that technique of setting NPA and pulling the stock back into shoulder to ensure it will recoil straight back. Pretty dang good idea. Still playing with a firm load vs light load on bipod, either way, I need to be more consistent obviously.

Watched a video about cheel weld and recoil management that made sense to me and seems to correlate with a right handed shooting high and left with too firm a cheek weld, pushing the stock down and right as the rifle recoils.

Ya'll are awesome.

Paying attention to tracking comes out of Benchrest, if the gun doesn't track you'll never shoot small, if it doesn't return, often just pulling it back and resetting it will put it back into tracking. I started this with a bipod and you can immediately see if your biased in your set up.
Also started shooting nearly free recoil, it's the easiest way to be the most consistent with a braked rifle, your not forcing anything, just enough touch to feel the gun but not enough I'm seriously interacting with it till the bullet is gone.

I would say try a different brake, but I don't think it would make much difference, and wouldn't do so unless you can borrow one from a friend. The reason is I put a three port "Little Bas****" on my 28. Got the bright idea that a 5 port would make it easier to shoot free recoil. Bought a Terminator and really couldn't tell any difference. There might be, but it is so slight that you can't tell it behind the gun. So I'm saying don't spend any money trying to fix it this way.

I watched Sam and Adam after work's videos for a few hours last night.

If I was to self diagnose. After everyones inputs, it's a soft rear bag, not getting natural point of aim set, not ensuring the rifle will track straight and too firm a cheek weld, causing the rifle to recoil left and up.

Will have an answer next week, will post a video if I cant address the issue with everyones suggestions to far.

Well ****, I took a wild guess on their names, lol..I did watch some of their videos though. The aussie or Brit (cant tell the dif, sorry). Pretty in-depth stuff. Really good video on parralax as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.