Help designing long range build (30 cal mag)

jfkid

CF274E26-8010-41DA-827C-FE37C2FE5180.jpeg
Hello all! I found a rifle with a cool stock I would like to build from. See photo. It's walnut thumbhole with a high cheeck rest and even some decent flame type figuring. Nice long length of pull. I love walnut so it fits with my preferences.

Currently it is a factory 300 RUM in a mag contour. The sporter barrel makes it lighter than I want for 30 cal magnum! It also seems apparent the stock was glass bedded for a long action rem 700 in the standard barrel conture. The current setup has the barrel bottoming out in the inletting especially as it gets close to the forend tip

I am thinking about finding a barrel for it in 300 PRC. I would plan to shoot with a Griffin Armament Explorr suppressor with a taper type breack. For the new barrel would Criterian RemAge 300 PRC make sense if I can open up the barrel channel. Would a 6.5 PRC be doable as a switch barrel? Would the Explorr on a taper mount (what I am waiting for, bought early this year change how you would spec the 300 PRC rebarrel?

Thanks!

View attachment 303706Hello all! I found a rifle with a cool stock I would like to build from. See photo. It's walnut thumbhole with a high cheeck rest and even some decent flame type figuring. Nice long length of pull. I love walnut so it fits with my preferences.

Currently it is a factory 300 RUM in a mag contour. The sporter barrel makes it lighter than I want for 30 cal magnum! It also seems apparent the stock was glass bedded for a long action rem 700 in the standard barrel conture. The current setup has the barrel bottoming out in the inletting especially as it gets close to the forend tip

I am thinking about finding a barrel for it in 300 PRC. I would plan to shoot with a Griffin Armament Explorr suppressor with a taper type breack. For the new barrel would Criterian RemAge 300 PRC make sense if I can open up the barrel channel. Would a 6.5 PRC be doable as a switch barrel? Would the Explorr on a taper mount (what I am waiting for, bought early this year change how you would spec the 300 PRC rebarrel?

Thanks!
Are you wanting more velocity or just a hyped 30 cal? Too ave powder and wear I just get a longer barrel. Nothing wrong with a 300wm, short mag or 308nm..

Not sure if I'm any help as suppesors are not currently in my realm, but I totally love the idea of a switch barrel Remage 300 PRC/ 6.5 PRC and think as long as the barrel contours are the same and you get really, really good at headspacing them with gauges, it's totally doable. Wood stocks IMO are kinda underated, albeit a little heavier, they are rigid and if sealed up properly, do not swell. I'm curious as to what others here have to say about this conversion, might be some roadblocks but my first reaction is go for it. The Elite 3200 4-12 looks good on there, and I love the stock.

Good point on watching the width of the flat. I agree! I didn't mention before that it looks like it was originally fit to a heavier barrel contour and glass bedded full length to the sporter contour so it looks like it has lots of flat area to work with.

to those asking about why I am interested in a 300 prc it is mostly because I think it's like a bigger longer ranging 6.5 Creedmoor. There seems to be a lot of economy in being able to order a standard spec 300 PRC instead of some special fast twist, custom spec reamer other 30. I think it's just as good as the other options and likely cheaper and/or easier to get longer/bigger ranging rifle than my 6.5 Creedmoor. I also am waiting on my first suppressor (30 cal!) or I might be tempted to try a 338 RUM.

Not much of a fan of the UM or the PRC (its just another 'boutique' cartridge to me). If I was to do someting other than a .300WM it'd be the 30 Nosler. Ya' gotta' ditch that J Lock, or it'll make no difference in what cart. you choose. Kind'a sounds like you're looking for pre-threaded and chambered. For a 'true' LR rig I'd want a premium blank gunsmith installed.

View attachment 303706Hello all! I found a rifle with a cool stock I would like to build from. See photo. It's walnut thumbhole with a high cheeck rest and even some decent flame type figuring. Nice long length of pull. I love walnut so it fits with my preferences.

Thanks!
What ever caliber you choose if I were you I would take all the hardware off the stock. Sand the wood down until all the imperfections were gone and the surface is smooth as glass. Then put about a dozen coats of Tru Oil on it. The wood grain will "POP" and those coats of Tru Oil will give depth to the finish.
Assemble it back with your new barrel and a new Pachmayr recoil pad. You got an AWESOME rifle.

For LR, very few cartridges will beat the RUM.
If you want to use a PRC case, just remember it is only 50fps or so faster than a 300WM.
True, you can hang LONG bullets out there, but you can also do this with a WM/RUM/Nosler when using a 3.7" long action which can also accomodate a 4" Wyatt's box with a simple mill cut on the underside of the action.
I really see no real advantage to the PRC…just HYPE from the Hornady marketing team.

Cheers.

For LR, very few cartridges will beat the RUM.
If you want to use a PRC case, just remember it is only 50fps or so faster than a 300WM.
True, you can hang LONG bullets out there, but you can also do this with a WM/RUM/Nosler when using a 3.7" long action which can also accomodate a 4" Wyatt's box with a simple mill cut on the underside of the action.
I really see no real advantage to the PRC…just HYPE from the Hornady marketing team.

Cheers.
HYPE for sure, but there will always be followers just like the creedmore. Want more velocity get a longer barrel forget the rum and 30-378. 300nm looks compelling.