Help Deciding on "Budget" Rifle & Scope for Once in a lifetime Elk tag (narrowed down list)

Standard stainless Tikka T3x Lite-- 300wsm, VX5HD 3-15x

300wsm will be plenty for any other critter you may hunt, ammo is easier to find and elk aren't small critters. If I'm on a 'once in a lifetime' for anything I'm going in with P for plenty of gun.
I thought long and hard about 300wsm. I just feel like the 6.5PRC would be more enjoyable to shoot for me. Plus I don't plan on hunting elk very often. This is my first and only elk tag I can get for North Dakota. I am sending in for Wyoming but where I wanna go it takes 7-8 years and I'm only 21/2 years into sending in. So for muley, whitetail, and this elk. I feel like the 6.5prc will work well. Especially under 500 yards.

Can I ask what do you already have? Any 7mm or 30 cal is more than sufficient for elk within 500 yards, with the right load of course.

you could spend the money on upgrading scope and load development of a current rifle. If you have something that already fits the bill, and you are confident shooting it, may not need to go further than your safe.

unless of course this is the excuse to explain to your significant other as to why you need a special elk rifle. If that's the case disregard everything above and head to the store before they change their mind :)
To be honest the biggest caliber I have currently is a 243. All I've needed for the whitetail, and coyote hunting. I have plenty of guns I could borrow but would like my own larger caliber rifle to have. Plus it makes a very good excuse to the wife that I need a new rifle! I'm just 25 but lucky to have a paying job and money to buy a few toys a year. I could spend a lot more in a rifle and she would be okay with it. But I have better ways of spending that money so I just want a nice lightweight rifle that won't break the bank!

I won't try and talk you out of a 6.5 PRC. You have that picked out. It's on my short list of next rifles.

The Tikka will have plenty of twist rate in that cartridge (1:8) Their 7mm and 30 cal stuff is slow twist. You're good to go with anything they sell in 6.5mm.

Their Magnum rifles (7mm Mag, 300 Win) have insanely short magazine COALs, so heavy bullets are shoved way in the case, so it's a double whammy there.

My advice: Do not purchase a 6.5 PRC rifle until you have something to shoot out of it. If you reload, find all of the reloading components you need and make sure they're in your possession (Brass, Dies, Bullets, Powder, Primers). If you have the cash handy, and keep your eyes open, you'll come across something priced normal. Like others have said, it's hard to come by PRC stuff. I've seen ammo listed at $5/round a few times ($100/box).

If you find a good deal on a scope, and have the cash, go for it.

*I hope the Lapua 6.5 PRC brass starts hitting the streets soon. I've had my backorder in for months now. See, I practice what I preach. :)
Luckily I have a few friends with 6.5prc's with plenty of ammo if I can't find myself. They have already told me they are mine if I need them!

Read this if you are thinking about the PRC

Pick up a used rifle in 270, 30-06 etc. Put a 6.5-06 barrel on it. Same performance as a PRC. Lots of fired 25-06 & 30-06 brass available., & at reasonable prices. One pass thru a 6.5-06 sizing die,load & shoot. The 6.5-06 was delivering PRC performance decades before the catchy nane "PRC" was invented.

Last edited:
Whatever you go with - practice and know WHERE to hit the Elk and the Deer. A well delivered 6.5 Creed will do the job - but even an errand .338 in 250 grain on an Elk - may result in a lost animal.

So I just found out that I drew a North Dakota Elk Tag which is a once in a lifetime tag (literally can only get one in your lifetime). I have been going over everything I need... which is a lot of gear (lightweight camo, new pack, spotting scope, rangefinder) so I am trying to keep costs down. I am big into archery hunting whitetails but also have shot plenty of rifle in my life. I figured this is a good opportunity to get a new rifle setup as I also have a Wyoming muley tag that I will be guaranteed for but I will put it off for a year after hearing this news.

I narrowed the rifle choices to these three:
1. Tikka lite veil wideland 6.5PRC
2. Tikka lite Roughtech 6.5PRC
3. Christensen Arms Mesa 6.5PRC

I cant imagine I will be shooting an elk past 400 yards. But I do like to go shoot gongs out to around 800-1000 yards. Also I know Tikka's are just coming out with the 6.5PRC but I have heard of a few shops who have gotten them already so I would think it wouldn't take too long to get one. I have had both the tikka and the Christenson in my hands. I like both, I prefer the tikka action. But feel they are pretty comparable, besides Christensen having a better stock. I know I can get all of them for close to the same price. I like the fact the both the wideland and mesa are cerakoted.

Scope Choices:
Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 4-20×50 APLR6 FFP IR MOA
Athlon Midas BTR GEN2 4.5-27×50 AHMR SFP IR MOA HD
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C (MOA) Reticle
Ziess V4 (used) not sure what would be best reticle for me yet
Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 (or56?) or 3-18x56 (unsure on reticles)
Arken SH-4 gen 2 (if I could get my hands on one)
Burris XTR II Rifle Scope - 3-15x50mm 34mm FFP Illuminated SCR MOA Reticle Matte( can get blemished for $640)
Burris Signature HD 5-25x50mm (unsure reticle)
Leupold???

As you can see my price point varies a lot. I would love to stick around the $500 range if all possible but willing to go up if there is a scope absolutely worth having. still want to keep this gun fairly light and easy to carry around all day unlike some of the other guns I have. Please let me know what you believe is the best bang for your buck out of these rifles and optics.
Tikka !

Congrats!

What unit did you draw? If you drew one of the western units, the physicality of the hunt and terrain might not allow for a 400 yard shot.
If you're hunting the turtle mountains, you're much more likely to get that 400 yard shot.
I've hunted elk with people in both sides of the state. One used a 300 rum, one used a 340 Weatherby improved.
If you haven't solidified land or called ranchers yet, do it immediately. Most call landowners the same minute they draw the tag.
Good luck on your journey! Feel free to PM me if you need any landowners numbers. I'll give you what I have.

Jayson

You seem set ton the 6.5PRC but in my humble opinion it is on the light side for elk. I have a similar (once in a lifetime) elk hunt in my near future and I chose to go with a 28 Nosler.
No doubt your choice can work but I'm my opinion I think your shot choice window will be narrowed.

6.5 PRC??? Just what are you thinking? WHY? Find a good used (older) Remington 700 in a 30.06, I see so many beautiful 700s at gun shows. The 30.06 is powerful enough for anything and I mean anything in the lower 48 states. You can find good (nothing exotic) 180 grain bullets almost anywhere. I have used Core-Lokt all my life and never had a failure. For a scope I would purchase Vortex, Burris, or Sightron and you don't have to purchase top end. The mid-range prices will give you excellent service, ( My personal favorite is Sightron)
Also as a note older 700s may have a Walker Trigger so remember your gun safety rules. I love the Walker trigger, it is smooth as a baby's butt!

Congrats and I wish you a great bull! Like others we mainly hunt with 6.5's. I have stacked elk up with a 6.5 Rem mag before 6.5 was cool. That was with a 125 Partition since then we have used Accubonds and Barnes and love them both. I do like a 4.5x14x40 leupy for optics if I think I may shoot over 500, but I really like the 2.5x8x36 the best.

Good luck