Help deciding on a new elk rifle

RAMhunter123

Hello everyone, I live out here in Oregon and have drawn my first elk tag. I am in need of a good elk rifle that will last me a lifetime. I have been looking at the Remington 700's and a savage 16/116. Could anyone give their own opinions on what they prefer or if they vote for one of the ones I've listed? I am thinking 300 win mag but that is also up in the air. I will be shooting anywhere from 200 to 600 yds and weight is not an issue as I'm a big guy. Any help and opinions would be more than welcome.

Go see Denny over at bimart and get the remington 700 in 300 win. I have one and shoot it at 1000 yards often. Remember that quality optics make a difference. Ryan

Take a serious look at the new remington 700 long range.

7mm, 300 win, or 300 RUM. you cannot go wrong with either one. If i were to only have one elk rifle it would be the 300 win mag.

I'm shooting 215 bergers at 2850 FPS. just plain awesome!

Also look at the Savage Bear Hunter and Savage Long Range Hunter. For me they are better balanced the the Remington Long Range with less weight. I agree with the 300 win mag as a great round for elk as well. Tikka T3's would be a great light weight option as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.