HELP! Custom rifle build, what cartridge???

I know they are newer cartridges, but I think for your application either a 6.5 or 300 PRC are a great option.

Attachments

• PXL_20210122_212818369-01.jpeg
    PXL_20210122_212818369-01.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 107
I know they are newer cartridges, but I think for your application either a 6.5 or 300 PRC are a great option.
**** that's a nice looking Seekins....I've considered buying a nicer factory set up....like a Seekins or Cooper. My buddy's Cooper 280ai is the most accurate hunting rifle I've ever seen. That stock is a looker. How does yours shoot?

**** that's a nice looking Seekins....I've considered buying a nicer factory set up....like a Seekins or Cooper. My buddy's Cooper 280ai is the most accurate hunting rifle I've ever seen. That stock is a looker. How does yours shoot?
Thank you, Bullmark! Yeah you know, I think these days building a custom rifle is becoming less of a necessity unless you want a custom cartridge or you're in it for the novelty. So many "semi custom" offerings from established manufacturers at fair price points...offerings that are capable of way more than any hunter will need, and are of great quality.

Re shooting; don't know yet! I actually just picked this up today. Replacing the old 30-06. I need to track down some **** ammo. I have found some 212 grain ELD-X for sale online, but people want ~$160 for a box of 20....I'll keep looking. I have read tons of great reviews, but I cannot comment myself. In terms of fit, finish, and feel...wow. Absolutely blown away. Ergonomics are flawless for me, action is slick and tight, and all of the machining / part fitment is impeccable. I am, so far, very happy. The only point I would make, and this is true of any ultra light rifle (6lbs here), is that it is a bit nose heavy. That being said, unless the barrel were lighter than the stock you aren't going to have a gun that isn't front heavy with a stock this light. I should note that the "nose heavy" feel isn't really noticeable when the firearm is shouldered, but more so when you are just handling it.

Very true. The builder I'm going to use (High Tech Customs in Co Springs) builds some really lightweight rigs, and that is one of the first things he asks when designing your rifle...what's the goal weight?... So if it ends up 6.5 lbs, no big deal to me if it isn't 6lbs on the nose. If it's going to be 8lbs, then I will have to change some things up.
There's always the Cooper backcountry 92...but I'd rather go get built exactly what I want.

I want to find a good balance between shootable and light, and also of superior quality, which is why I want to have a rifle built. If weight was the only goal i'd keep the 5lb, 4oz kimber i have in 280ai. It's going to cause me a little bit of pain to sell that one... But my money tree dried up.
Just keep the Kimber .280ai and hunt more.
Solved.
The other boring standard cartridge I have and like is .300wm,
Buying speciality group dies, premium cases and stuff is what shakes the leaves on that money tree, I'm a bit conservative but my .280 ai cost $3000 Aussie (budget build) and some dies and 150 brass cost over $600

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.