Help, confused IMR 4350 & 300 win mag

HighKnob
Some things do vary a bit over time & from gun to gun.
Reloading manuals are only a reference, just as forums are only a reference.
This is why it's important to use the many references available -and still- work up from a conservative point.

I use Quickload software and calibrate it initially to anecdotal loads posted at places like Reloader's Nest: .300 Winchester Magnum @ www.reloadersnest.com
With this I get comfortable about a chosen load workup given QL calculated pressures.
I expect to see specific velocities while working up, based on QL's workup loads, and if there is any departure from expected(across my chrono) I stop & reconsider things.
Maybe my bore cross sectional area is different, or my lot of IMR4350 is slow/fast.
At any rate, I'll be calibrating my software to my components, logging & saving the file.
If you're not so comfortable with buying reloading manuals for reference, and having no method to calibrate(which then allows prediction), then you might consider QuickLoad. It's a **** good investment for those serious about reloading.

And then there is the term 'MAX' for what it means to you or me.
When you look around a little you see that book max means little to nothing for many reloading.
They run into pressure signs, or actual problems, earlier or later than others, regardless of manuals. IMO, this represents their MAX, and it is a basis for MY MAX.
With your gun, your components, there is a MAX that is expressed with PROBLEMS.
Until you have a problem, you don't, and you can go until you do & log it.
The caveat, you do have to be rational about this and stay engaged in what you're doing.

What's a problem? Anything not working well.
Primers piercing or falling out, bad wiping of caseheads, popping extraction, cracked necks or shoulders, awful bolt turn, etc.
Is the 'problem' due to load, case sizing, action, bolt, barrel, chamber?
Stop, think about it, figure it out, fix it.
The important thing is that you're careful about workup & spot problems early & honestly.
Do not deny a problem based on any book, or what other shooters do.

You said you had no issues with your load and you're careful about it. So even though it's hotter than the gates of hell, you have no problem -yet.
I would expect that your brass will present problems shortly though. It's very hard to run hot loads in a large capacity cartridge without prices to pay in the long run.

Thanks Mikecr. Nice write up. I'm taking my time and checking and more checking. I've loaded for a lot of guns and a lot of years. This one was just new to me and I got unusual numbers. Still working on it though.

Thanks Backwoods, makes me feel better that someone is shooting something close to what I was going to and still together.

Thanks for the warning Bart, I'll be careful.

Most current manuals under load the 300 Win Mag with IMR 4350 ......get a Speer mid 60's manual for realistic load data.

My 300 Win I use 75.0 of IMR 4350 with 180 Nosler PP.

Late 60's or early 70's they changed the reloading data in manuals on all loads.
The favorite target load in the 300 Win Mag was 72.0 of IMR 4350 with 180gr and the data was lowered to 72.0 from 75.0. I use the original load 75.0 and have been for years in my 300 Win Mag with 180gr Nosler PP and Swift A-Frames. IMR 4350 is a excellent powder in the 300 Win Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.