Help choosing Caliber/rifle

Jpaul5

let me start out with some background. I am not a 10 year old first time shooter. I have been hunting for that past 20 yrs, however I have always used a 30-30 or .270. I used these because I was only hunting whitetail in upstate NY. I dont have a lot of call for long range shots. I am planning to go hunting for Caribou this year and future big game hunts. I have done a lot of reading on good calibers for large big game and have determined either the .300 winMag or a 7mm Mag seem to be my options. I am sure there are many more but these are what I think would be best for my current whitetail hunting and still me me future big game ability. Please correct me on any of this if I am wrong. As for the rifle I was looking at the remington 700. I have been debating whether or not to go with a heavy barrel or not. I seem to shoot better with a rifle that has some weight to it. but I am unsure if the heavy barrel on a 700 would be too much. I have not had an opportunity to hold this gun so I am drawing from the internet and other opinions. Any thoughts and input would be great. if you need more info or have questions for me, please free to ask.

I agree that a .270 is more than sufficient for Caribou. I might be tempted to reach for a .25-06 or .257 Weatherby.

Down the road if you want to start hunting large animals like elk, I would suggest you step up to at least a .300 Win mag.

Most Alaskan bear guides require customers to carry at least a .338 Win mag.

Whether to get a gun with a heavy barrel would depend on how the gun will be used. If you are going to be chasing elk up and down mountains, LIGHT is what you want. If you are going to be hunting from a stand or not far from a horse or 4-wheeler you can get away with a heavier gun. I like heavy guns when it comes to shooting but I know most guides will laugh at anyone showing up with a heavy gun on a Rocky Mountain hunt.

Hope this helps!

Well I tend to have a steadier shot with a heavy gun and for my local hunting I would carry it while in a stand. if I was going to be doing a drive however I would bring my .270 or my 30-30.

thinking long term, I know I want to be able to do long range shooting, both target and hunting, does the heavy barrel have an advantage in this situation?

I understand it isnt the gun a much as it is the shooter that make a long range shot.

I shoot a Remington 700 5r 300 wm, it has been fantastic. Not to heavy but deffinatly not a light weight. Same weight as the sendero. Helps tame recoil and steady the gun a little. Heavier contour barrels tend to stay cooler when shooting, doesn't matter hunting so much as target shooting. Most seem to be more accurate or atleast more accurate during longer shot strings. 7mm or 300wm are both great long range rounds. Both easy to load for and both have good ammo available if you don't re load.

thanks for the info. the 700 5r is exactly what I have been looking at. that is a 24" barrel vs the 26" on the 700p....correct? from what I can find online it says the rifle weights in between 8.5-11lbs without a scope or bipod (if needed). does that seem right?

The 5r is limited production with 5r rifling. P is seperate line. sendero seperate as well. All 3 are great. I would say about 8.5 pounds empty. I've got handloads running in the .3-.5 moa range. 208a max at 2900. It is one of the best shooting guns I've ever had. Not so heavy you can't pack it. I think it's just about perfect. I'm running the 26" but it or the 24 I wouldn't hesitate to own.

the 5-r is stainless and has 5-r rifling. the 700 sendero/p and 5-r have similiar h/s stocks. the 300 wm may have a little more power than you need ; but it has more factory ammo options .th e a the 7mm mag has a little less recoil . i have a vais on both my 300 and 7mm. heavy is good for long range. heavier is even better. i have sporter weight rifles that shoot great at 100. my sendero weight rifles shoot great to 1000 yards. as far as i have shot them,.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.