Help Choosing A Precision AR Caliber

I have a Precision Firearms 6.5 Grendel that shoots .3" groups. Mine has a bull bbl, but they also offer a lighter wt bbl that is guarateed to shoot .5" groups. My bullet is a Nosler 120 gr BT. I buy them from Shooters pro shop, and they run about $15 for blems. There's nothing wrong with them, except forthe coloring. They are currently out of stock, and are instock only occsionally. The 140 gr BT is usually in stock, and is currently offer at $14.95. My range has a pop-up steel target of a prairie dog at 400 yds. I can sit at the bench and hit it, and be back on it as it pops back up, and hit it again. I have killed two antelope with it. Both were DRT. I mean the legs collapsed and not a step was taken.

If you handload, another option would be to go to maddogweapons.com. He has a large variety of calibers for the AR. He only sells the bbl, bolt and dies for each caliber. You get to choose the type of rifle you want - a side charge receiever, smooth sided, colors, etc. I have one of his in 7mm Valkyrie, and it shoots sub-MOA, and only weighs a bit over 7# with scope.

I have built multiple ARs. Multiple .223s from 16" to a 24" a .204 24", a 6mm AR, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 SPC. They all have there own uses. For all out accuracy I would have to say my .204 is the most accurate. For long range it's the 6mm AR. Fun ringing still at a 1K with a short AR. Also does a number on coyotes with 75 Vmaxs north of 3K. For hunting I like the 6.8 for most practical ranges. The 6.8 with 120 SSTs is my go to for Hogs and close range deer hunting. It hammers them. The Grendel will pass it up in ballistics as the shots get long. For hunting though if I'm planning on shots that far I'm taking a bigger cartridge.

Started out with 20" Shilen 6.5 Grendel, then 22" Faxon select bull barrel, then 18"heavy fluted Faxon, finally after approx.$3k, set up my final Grendel with 20" Proof. See what happens when I get started on something that with each one I craved for that perfect set up. Left side charging upper with Proof is the most accurate 6.5 Grendel in my stable. Am willing to take offers on 2 or 3 of my other Grendels. PM me for specs. All shoot better than 3/4 moa.

sorry but spending that much money and only being able to say "better than 3/4 moa" does not impress me.
should be lees than 1/2 and closer to 1/4...

Started out with 20" Shilen 6.5 Grendel, then 22" Faxon select bull barrel, then 18"heavy fluted Faxon, finally after approx.$3k, set up my final Grendel with 20" Proof. See what happens when I get started on something that with each one I craved for that perfect set up. Left side charging upper with Proof is the most accurate 6.5 Grendel in my stable. Am willing to take offers on 2 or 3 of my other Grendels. PM me for specs. All shoot better than 3/4 moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.