Help bringing old rifle new life

Since it was a .270 there are a couple of threads that you may want to read for ideas for the old girl to "modernize" or "update" it. Re-barrel with faster twist and you have a all the benefits of the original .270 plus ability to shoot heavier bullets. Restoring it back with updated twist, 5R rifling, Timney trigger, good solid stock with at least pillar bedding and you now have one heck of a rifle for future legacy as well.
LINK: .270 Overtake CM & PRC
LINK: Ole .270 Back to Life

Thanks, I will definitely check them out

Having a couple heirloom pieces myself - I like the idea of replacing stock n bbl with orig style pieces. Upgrade the trigger. Have the lop set for the girls and I'd stick with the 270, all kinds of factory ammo avail from recoil mgmt to light mags....

That's my opinion - your mileage may vary 😎

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. What's a good qood stock option for a shorter LOP for the girls?

Personally, I don't see restorations as viable for real hunting rifles. If you put all the work and money in to make them look like they once did, you end up with a rifle you are afraid to really hunt with because exposing it to the abuse of hunting puts all of that work in jeopardy. The rifle them becomes a wall-hanger or safe queen. Revering the past and holding on to memories can be a good thing but it can also be a waste of good resources. I have guns that have been in my family for almost a hundred years. They have been improved to make them useful in modern hunting and their history just adds to the joy of using them. The previous owners, all of whom I knew, didn't treat them as anything more than tools to be maintained and used, and neither will I.

Personally, I don't see restorations as viable for real hunting rifles. If you put all the work and money in to make them look like they once did, you end up with a rifle you are afraid to really hunt with because exposing it to the abuse of hunting puts all of that work in jeopardy. The rifle them becomes a wall-hanger or safe queen. Revering the past and holding on to memories can be a good thing but it can also be a waste of good resources. I have guns that have been in my family for almost a hundred years. They have been improved to make them useful in modern hunting and their history just adds to the joy of using them. The previous owners, all of whom I knew, didn't treat them as anything more than tools to be maintained and used, and neither will I.

Hmm...You make a very valid point.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. What's a good qood stock option for a shorter LOP for the girls?
Do you know how to steam the dings and dents out the wood stock? If staying with wood for originality is your goal, look up how to steam them out. Then give it a good bath to clean decades of gunk off it, lightly sand, and refinish with oil if you can rub that long, or a urethane clear primer. It will look good as new, and then just saw cut to length by a smith who can do it straight in 3 axes, and add the recoil pad of their choice...

Given it's history I'd replace the barrel with one that has a tighter twist so heavy for caliber bullets are feasible, but has the same contour & length. Look at the blue-printing process with a good 'smith, emphasize return on investment. Replace the trigger with something appropriate for how you'll use it.

You will be upside down in it. If it is sentimental then who cares?

do you have any or can you borrow any rifles with adjustable butt stocks ..id get perfect length of pull measurent before ordering any stock .. then go from there ..

moderize it .. give it some pride .. and engrave his name right on the side .. something everytime anyone picks it up theyll have no question

Have the action "tuned up" by a competent gunsmith. While he is tuning the action get a Broughton barrel in .270 in a contour that you like, with a slightly faster twist, add a Timmeny(sp?) or preferably a Jewel trigger, with a new laminate stock and you will be set for another long time shooting a remarkable cartridge with the best parentage in the world.
As usual, just an opinion worth the proverbial two cents.
Most important, have a good time with the remake.

Do you know how to steam the dings and dents out the wood stock? If staying with wood for originality is your goal, look up how to steam them out. Then give it a good bath to clean decades of gunk off it, lightly sand, and refinish with oil if you can rub that long, or a urethane clear primer. It will look good as new, and then just saw cut to length by a smith who can do it straight in 3 axes, and add the recoil pad of their choice...

I would do this, but the original stock had a crack down the buttstock

At this point I would question how much of the original rifle would remain, and how much would I attribute the end result having the same sentimental value?
With the receiver being about all that remains after rebarrelling, new trigger, new stock - at this point making it a shooter and functional, it would become kind of tribute to the original owner, but it's a rebuild at at that point - for me, anyway.

If the tigger is original? You can go to the Remington website, plug in the serial number and see if it's eligible for a free upgrade. I have my father's early 70's 700 In 25-06, the trigger was recalled and replaced by Remington.

If the tigger is original? You can go to the Remington website, plug in the serial number and see if it's eligible for a free upgrade. I have my father's early 70's 700 In 25-06, the trigger was recalled and replaced by Remington.

I did all that and got the letter back from Remington to replace it, but I only got it about a week or two ago and with thier bankruptcy, I received another letter telling me I couldn't do it yet, pending the outcome of the bankruptcy....

I did get some court papers from the bankruptcy court allowing me to call in during the hearings if I wanted to, so that's pretty cool.....(sarcasm)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.