Help -- about to purchase my first set of reloading equipment!

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I have decided to take the reloading route. I have never done it and have no equipment. As of now, I am only planning to reload for my 7mm rem mag.

I am looking at purchasing the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme reloading kit. I know that I need calipers and dies. Any die recommendations? Also, are the 2 dies in many of the sets all you need? Also, is an electronic powder scale a good idea over the manual scale? As in how hard is it to get accurate with the ".1, .2," etc. measurements?

Thank in advance. Excited to get into this.

I recommend reading through all the recent threads where everybody has already given their recommendations on which equipment to buy, etc. Then if you have specific questions definitely ask and you will be bombarded with information. Be careful this is a dangerous road...I too was just going to load for one cartridge, I think I'm up to 5 now, and have spent a ridiculous amount of time over the past 2 or 3 years trying to chase perfection...and I dont even shoot competitively.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/reloading-for-rifles.217356/#post-1599323
Look at this one, it's got a couple links to more threads that will take you farther down the rabbit hole.

And as far as the rock chucker... I wish that I had bought that instead of the Lee when I was starting.
The 2 die sets are sufficient. Most people dont crimp for bolt guns, so you just need the sizing die and the seating die.
And the scale question, check the link above, theres a link in that thread to another all about scales....enough to make your eyes bleed. I think the final answer to the scale question is it needs to be accurate and precise, and you need to be happy with it. You'll probably end up with several before long so dont fret too much over the first one. I started with a lee, then got a cheap hornady digi, then got an old RCBS, and I like that one.

I recommend reading through all the recent threads where everybody has already given their recommendations on which equipment to buy, etc. Then if you have specific questions definitely ask and you will be bombarded with information. Be careful this is a dangerous road...I too was just going to load for one cartridge, I think I'm up to 5 now, and have spent a ridiculous amount of time over the past 2 or 3 years trying to chase perfection...and I dont even shoot competitively.

What's the trick for finding the threads/information relative to the information I am looking for? Is there a search function? Always struggled with this haha.

I agree, but until i have the funds for more firearms, I'm only reloading 1 cartridge... for now... lol

I started handloading roughly 10 yrs ago . I will say this there is better higher priced sets of dies but I don't believe you can go wrong with the rcbs ones. I've personally had to call them twice to get decapping pins and neither time was I charged for them as a matter of fact the last time they sent me I believe 8 or 10 free of charge. I've got close to 30 sets of dies and only one set is not rcbs and they don't get used. Lol
As for a powder scale I have the Lyman powder dispenser with scale and I always have it set .5 grain under then trickle in to my exact charge. That's just me I'm picky

O
226B2FFF-DCDE-49A9-9512-B0180EC6E2FE.png
The Forums are broken down into broad subjects. You can quickly review topics that way.

There is a drop down in your menu that gives you a magnifying glass emblem and you can search. Edit...actually it just states search.

See pic

Last edited:
I have never figured out why a trimmer isn't included in the kits. You'll need a way to trim your brass. I would definitely buy an electronic scale. It just make everything easier. Your standard 2 die sets are usually a seating die and a full length resizing die. I'd start out there with a full length resize and a standard seating die. Just about any of the companies that make dies will suit your needs. Lately I've become fond of forester dies. You'll need some sort of case lube. If u have any direct questions feel free to pm me directly.

I started handloading roughly 10 yrs ago . I will say this there is better higher priced sets of dies but I don't believe you can go wrong with the rcbs ones. I've personally had to call them twice to get decapping pins and neither time was I charged for them as a matter of fact the last time they sent me I believe 8 or 10 free of charge. I've got close to 30 sets of dies and only one set is not rcbs and they don't get used. Lol

That's funny, rcBS is one of the companies I refuse to use (for dies). Runout is very high. Glad you're having good luck.

Last edited:
Also get a good bullet manufacturers manual one you plan to use and read it front to back and back again be sure to ask lots of questions if you have someone reputable teaching you. There is nothing in the world wrong with asking for info on the web but be VERY CAUTIOUS just cause it shoots good with no problems for so n so doesn't mean it should be tried by you. Not knocking you by no means. Things exploding in your face only inches away could be catastrophic

I have never figured out why a trimmer isn't included in the kits. You'll need a way to trim your brass. I would definitely buy an electronic scale. It just make everything easier. Your standard 2 die sets are usually a seating die and a full length resizing die. I'd start out there with a full length resize and a standard seating die. Just about any of the companies that make dies will suit your needs. Lately I've become fond of forester dies. You'll need some sort of case lube. If u have any direct questions feel free to pm me directly.

Yes, forgot to include that as a need as well. I'm almost wondering if purchasing each individual piece of equipment is more cost effective than buying a kit?

Also get a good bullet manufacturers manual one you plan to use and read it front to back and back again be sure to ask lots of questions if you have someone reputable teaching you. There is nothing in the world wrong with asking for info on the web but be VERY CAUTIOUS just cause it shoots good with no problems for so n so doesn't mean it should be tried by you. Not knocking you by no means. Things exploding in your face only inches away could be catastrophic

Does the manual need to be the same bullet brand I am reloading? I've looked at the Sierra manual, but not sure if I'll be reloading Sierra, Berger, etc.

Yes, forgot to include that as a need as well. I'm almost wondering if purchasing each individual piece of equipment is more cost effective than buying a kit?

Yes and you can buy used too. I think I've got 5 single stage presses not including progressive presses set up for seating different cartridges. I've got 1 pacific, one newer hornady, and 3 rcbs presses. They are all decent presses.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.