Help a newbie. savage 308?

joshelliott83

Hey everyone. I am looking to start some long range shooting. My uncle shoots in 700+ yarders and says I need to start. I have shot his rifle and can get a tight grouping at 400 all day long. I am looking for a beginner gun though. I am a big fan of a .308. I have shot 308's for a long time. Can anyone recommend a decent gun that I can mod to my standards and still keep it under 1000 for right now. I am looking to purchase a rifle for around 500 before I start customizing. Of course is I can stay cheaper it would be awesome, but I don't know if I can.

What do you thing about the savage 308. or the Remington Model 700 308.

Thanks

The rem xps are affordable before moving up to the tac, But the scope should probably cost more. You have to think of them as a life time investment. Save a little more and do it right the first time

Savage all the way for me. Been shooting a Savage .308 for about 2 years. I did a 2yr stint using the same savage only in 300WSM. Anyway here is what I suggest. Get the Stevens 200 in .308. This will get you started. It should cost between $300 and $400 depending where you go. This will give you a platform to build off of as you grow into the rifle. You will be able to do the work yourself. I will say that you might want to invest in a trigger first off when you get the rifle. Then go shooting. If you want a different stock, sell the factory stock for around $100 or so. Put that money into a Bell & Carlson stock for around $200. This will give a good starting point. Buy an EGW 20MOA base. Look into a Vortex Viper scope or a Nikon Buckmaster. You should be able to put this all together for under $900.

Tank makes some good points. But I would go a different path. I would go with a savage model 12 bvss. Good trigger good stock. Good advice on scopes also. But would pick a used monarch over a new pro staff. Also look at millet best bang for ur buck.

Savage Lightweight Hunter 308 WSM. 5.5 pounds. Nice medium range rifle, elk capable and 650 bucks all day long. Accutrigger, no Accustock however.

I have one on order right now. Clamp on a quality 6-9 and you are still below 7 pounds. Great pack in rifle.

Catalog Number 19209 MSRP $875.00 1-10 twist, 20" barrel

They also have a 6.5 Creedmore same weight for those that like Joyce Hornady ammo.... 1-8 twist Catalog 19204 MSRP $899.00

Didn't street price that one......:).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.