Help a new guy make a choice

Herky

Hello out there,

What a great site. I've already learned a bunch, but know that I've just scratched the surface. I'm a long time hunter, but am just beginning some precision/longrange hunting research and acquisitions.

I don't currently reload but I plan to start. I'm looking at a fairly large outlay in the beginning considering the reloading equipment, new rifle, and new optics. My budget on the rifle/scope combo is about $3k.

I'm leaning heavily towards the NightForce 3.5-15x50.

My biggest question now it what to put the scope on. This is where I could use some group input drawing on your experiences and research. Right now the top three contenders are all .300 win mags. I have a entry level .308 that will fill that need...for now. I'm looking for some long range targets and more importantly an elk, black bear, etc. size caliber. From the research I've done, I'm pretty happy with that choice but will listen to all input.

So what do you think about these?

Remington - 700 SS 5R Milspec, .300WM

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Sendero SF II - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Savage long range hunter

Savage Arms Firearms > 111 Long Range Hunter

I'm military & may be able to get a discount from the manufacturer. If that doesn't pan out I can get new production rifles for 5% over wholesale w/no tax.

I'm not married to these ideas, but they seem like good value based out of the box sub moa rifles, which is what I'm looking for. I would've done this as a poll, but I couldn't find an option for one.

Cheers,

Last edited:
You won;t go wrong with the sendero. But I would probably go with the 111 long range hunter. You get a lot of cool options with it right from the factory. The accustock is great and the muzzle brake and the adjustable cheek piece are cool too. I want one in a 6.5x284

Sounds like you're up too having some fun. Here are a few things that stand out for me... The Rem 700 .300 WM is fine; as would be the .300 RSAUM or the .300 WSM... For long range glass, well that's a little harder. If you're looking at Elk at 600 yards to 1k.... with 10 to 15 power(s); it's going make him look pretty big. Now if you want to have a little fun and punch a little paper or steal at 1K in the off season'…., you'll fine 20 to 22 powers seems to work better ringing out your best efforts.
Have fun. Just my .02

Being that I'm just starting out, I think it will take quite some time to work up to beyond about 600 yds. I don't hold any grand illusions of taking an elk at 1000 yds this year. I'll probably start at 200-300 and work my way up from there.

I thought about higher magnification, but I still want this to serve has a hunting platform, and don't want to loose the low end side if I can avoid it.

I didn't mention that I have a ton of time to build/research this. I'll probably be deployed this hunting season anyway but this gives me a direction to go.

Not nockin your choices, but have you looked at Weatherby, Tika, or Howa?
like I said your current choices are good, but it helps to do all the research(sounds like you already are). Maybe a 300 wby? I love the 300 win mag, and 300wsm, and someday Ill have both, right now I have theModel 70 Win, chambered in 300wby, and love it. Once you start hand loading it will bring the cost WAY down, but the performance will squeak past the 300 win by a couple hundred fps. Kinda handy when you wanna reach out there.:D Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Not nockin your choices, but have you looked at Weatherby, Tika, or Howa?
like I said your current choices are good, but it helps to do all the research(sounds like you already are). Maybe a 300 wby? I love the 300 win mag, and 300wsm, and someday Ill have both, right now I have theModel 70 Win, chambered in 300wby, and love it. Once you start hand loading it will bring the cost WAY down, but the performance will squeak past the 300 win by a couple hundred fps. Kinda handy when you wanna reach out there.:D Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the response. I've looked at tika and wetherby more than howa. The sub moa vanguards seem interesting and I've heard the tikas are a pretty good value. It seems like for a few more bucks you can go from just under moa to about .5 moa in the sendero and the tikas stock leaves a little to be desired.

When I started asking guys about long range options the sendero was consistantly in the top 2-3 suggestions.

I was considering making this rifle in a .308, but decided to up it a notch to .300wm I think 300wby might be a little too much oomph for what I'm looking for.

I could give you a great deal on a relatively new matte finish Sub-MOA Weatherby in 300 Wby Magnum right now if you're at all interested. Have box, papers, target, etc. This would be an especially good rifle if you want to put on the Bell & Carlson tactical stock:
Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A2 Style Remington 700 SPS BDL Savage 10/12 Weatherby Vanguard Howa 1500 Vertical Grip 2092, 2096, 2997, 2998 & 2999
Contact me for details if you wish.

I'm a Weatherby guy so that shows my bias, but I can't imagine "too much" oomph if you want to "reach out and touch" something at 600+ yards. They can't be "too dead." :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.