Help 300 Win Mag load

Wanashoot

I have been drawn for Elk first rifle season in Colorado and I have a new Browning rifle in 300 Win Mag with a 26 in barrel and a 1-8 twist. I used to load 180 Nosler Partitions for older gun with a 1-10 twist but cannot find any. I have been trying but bullet selection is scarce or limited as most know. I found some 205 Berger Elite but I cannot find any loading data for them Any suggestion? I am open to anything as I am gathering up what ever I can find. I have also got some 212 Eldx and seems you can get 200 Accubonds but have not ordered them yet. I have been reloading for a number of years but I am reading and learning.

For the 205gr bullets, first I'd determine what powder(s) you intend on using. Then I would go online and find several reliable sources such as Hodgdon, Alliant, Nosler, Sierra, etc. and use their data for 200-210gr bullets. The way I do my load development is I use 0.4-0.5gr increments in a magnum of that size. I look at several load manuals with similar bullets and the powder I want to use. I take the highest published charge weight and add 1.0gr to that and call that max. Then I will load 10-12 charges in 0.4-0.5gr steps below that and start at the lowest and work up. This covers a big window of powder and insures you start at a safe charge weight. I work up until I see pressure signs then I'll pull apart the unsafe loads. If I'm able to reach the "max" load without any pressure signs, I usually have already discovered a good load before I get there and I won't work past that unless I have too. This works for me whether I find the exact bullet I'm using in published data or not. I use Gordon's reloading software to give me the most accurate starting point possible and even then it's not 100%. I'll list an example below of how I do the powder charges so it's easier to understand.

77.0gr MAX
76.0 BOOK MAX
72.5 START LOAD

Hornady 10th edition has data for the 232 ELD-X. Copy attached. Berger manual does not list 205, but I attached data for 210. If you have specific powders in mind, I can run QL for you. COAL and H2O capacity info helps.
225D5862-903F-403A-937B-3107CE818126.jpeg
6AB56297-9A99-4307-B786-29E08047B02F.jpeg

Ok. Thank you both for responding. I have the Hornady manual and will look. I have also downloaded some info on Nosler website for 200 gr. I have some 200 gr speer bullets a box of Nosler partition 200 and I found some 212 Eldx also and current powder is 4831, 7828, and Both 4350 s. I will be gone for a couple weeks and will get started when I get back. The Bergers should be here then. I live rural so just about have to order everything no local suppliers so as I find anything I either buy or order it. Way too much stuff but want something that will work. I did not know that the powder websites had load data. I am learning every day. Thanks again.

7828 is close to H1000 so you could use the Berger 215 H1000 load data for the 205 by starting around 72 grains and going up from there. 7828 was not as heat stable as H1000 and spiked pressure above ~90F for me if you plan on shooting in the heat.

I'm running 165 hdy fb pills with rl22 or 200eld-x and v565 in my Browning 300win. I've got around 20 deer downed with the 165 at ranges out to 650+ yards. I've not used the 200 eld-x on a critter

for those looking for a heavier partition in 30 cal... there are over-runs and look like they are a protected point version but should still lay in a heck of a smack-down to 1/4 mile or better...

I used a 308 N. Mag 26" for years on Elk. I use 165gr Nosler ballistic tips, and now using accubonds. I use Fed 210 primers, H4350SC Powder w/75+grs. Not shown in any manual. Easy 500yd range. 3200fps area. You 300WM will hold more powder. I would look at H4831SC too. Not sure what season your in, but you can be in temp from -20 and 40 degree weather. Here a chart attached on Extreme Temp Powder. Your twist rate is quicker, and maybe Hammer bullets will do the trick.

Attachments

• EXTREME RIFLE POWDERS.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 94
Ok. Thanks again for all the help. I have shot some 190 accubonds in other 300 but cannot find any now. I have found some 200 gr though and Will order a order a box and try them also. I should have enough to come up with something it will like.

Not sure it would be of any interest to you. But you might look at hammer bullets. I've been using the 181 in my 300 wm, with a 10 twist on elk with great results. With the 8 twist you could stabilize even ones. If interested you could try calling Steve at hammer bullets and I'm pretty sure he'd help you out. Another plus to these bullets they seem to be fairly easy to find an accurate load. Good luck with your elk hunt, have fun and be safe.

My 300wm is 28"1:8
I'm shooting badlands 205 gr super bulldozer 2's at 2950 w/ h1000. Great accuracy and terminal performance especially with elk

I have been drawn for Elk first rifle season in Colorado and I have a new Browning rifle in 300 Win Mag with a 26 in barrel and a 1-8 twist. I used to load 180 Nosler Partitions for older gun with a 1-10 twist but cannot find any. I have been trying but bullet selection is scarce or limited as most know. I found some 205 Berger Elite but I cannot find any loading data for them Any suggestion? I am open to anything as I am gathering up what ever I can find. I have also got some 212 Eldx and seems you can get 200 Accubonds but have not ordered them yet. I have been reloading for a number of years but I am reading and learning.
Call Berger's tech support; they have very helpful.

Recent Posts