HELP! 243 that's inconsistant

CBS

banging my head against inanimate objects has resulted in blurred vision which seems to be counter productive.

guys I have a 243: sako action, Krieger 1-8 barrel McMillan stock that's been bedded.

I like to figure things out on my own most of the time but this time im stumped and need some help.

I have tried to use berger bullets (VLDs and classic hunters) in this gun and just cant get it to shoot consistently. i'll get a group in the 2s or 3s while working up loads but the next trip to the range its in the 7s with the same load. this has happened with 4 loads and bullets. it just wont reproduce results.

I've tried RL22 and varget. shooting 210M primers. weather conditions have been fairly consistant.

ive done the berger jump test with 3 of their bullets now. then move to changing charges going up in .3 increments. I'll find a node and then go back and reproduce the results and it just gets worse.

am I too stuck on my bullet selection? id like to use bergers but maybe this gun just doesn't like them? I don't understand the inconsistency.

any help would be appreciated.

am I too stuck on my bullet selection? id like to use bergers but maybe this gun just doesn't like them? I don't understand the inconsistency.

It can happen, I have one that I have sent many dollars worth of bergers down range only to keep coming back to barnes cuz they group the best. Pick another one of your favorite bullets and give them a chance. JM2C

For my varmint weight 243 with 1in10 I use 95gr NBT and a good dose of IMR4831.
Might seem like over-kill but this load consistently kills prairie dogs out to 400 and if it's a calm day a little farther. it's my 16yr old grandson's weapon of choice.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

It could honestly be conditions. I have had this happen to me before with multiple rifles. If there is a lot of mirage coming off the ground, or your barrel is getting heated very quickly and causing mirage, it can really mess you up. I have yet to master shooting in the mirage so I can't give any pointers if this is what is causing you problems. I have had my .243 shoot in the .3s on a mild day, then on a hot, sunny day it shoots just under MOA with the exact same loads and everything. I often get frustrated, then I notice how bad the mirage is and it makes me understand how important it is to learn how to read and learn to shoot into mirage.

If I'm having a bad day, I often move the target close to 50-60yds and see if it punches one hole or if it is erratic. It seems like the closer ranges don't magnify the mirage effects as bad and it's easier to shoot a good group in the poor conditions. I don't count these groups at closer ranges, but it's more of a test to see if it's the elements, my technique, or the rifle. If it will shoot in the .1s at 50yds, I know it is still capable of .3s or tighter at 100yds in good conditions and it's a relief knowing it's not me or the rifle's fault haha.

I have had good luck with H4350 in Remington factory barrels. I trust 4350 and sierra bullets out of my factory rifle more than anything I own. I had to break it out last week when doing load development on a finicky 260 just to convince myself it wasn't me.

OP,
Are you cleaning your rifle between range times or are you shooting fouled.

I have a 257 Roberts that was driving me crazy until I quit cleaning between range sessions.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I was not cleaning between range sessions. (Learned that lesson a few years ago with a rifle that won't shoot until it has 20rds through it).

I think we've figured out the problem. It was mechanical. The Sako extractor was contacting the barrel and I'm hoping that was causing uneven pressure on the case. My gunsmith is going to fix the issue. I wish I could get him to reimburse all of the powder and bullets I've gone through trying to figure this gun out.

I think there might be another issue with the action. The bolt doesn't slide like it used to. Not sure what is causing it but I'm hoping this guy can figure it out this time.

banging my head against inanimate objects has resulted in blurred vision which seems to be counter productive.

guys I have a 243: sako action, Krieger 1-8 barrel McMillan stock that's been bedded.

I like to figure things out on my own most of the time but this time im stumped and need some help.

I have tried to use berger bullets (VLDs and classic hunters) in this gun and just cant get it to shoot consistently. i'll get a group in the 2s or 3s while working up loads but the next trip to the range its in the 7s with the same load. this has happened with 4 loads and bullets. it just wont reproduce results.

I've tried RL22 and varget. shooting 210M primers. weather conditions have been fairly consistant.

ive done the berger jump test with 3 of their bullets now. then move to changing charges going up in .3 increments. I'll find a node and then go back and reproduce the results and it just gets worse.

CBS,
mtwarych makes a good point. Are you shooting fouling rounds at a practice target until the bullet strikes stop rising and begin to cluster before you shoot groups?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts