Hells Canyon vs PROOF

Mc Fraser

Hello All, I am in the market for a new carbon barrel and the two main suppliers that build quality barrels are HC and PROOF. I will ask the stupid question, which one is better?
In my research, I found that HC has a slight advantage because they use about 40% less resin and resin is not as strong, rigid and does NOT (edited later) dissipate heat as fast as carbon. Also, HC uses Benchmark blank barrels.
I am inclined to go with HC, however, I've seen quite a few members using PROOF. Price is not an issue.

What are your thoughts?

TIA

Last edited:
I live in Canada, I don't have to many options that I know off.

You can buy just about anything you want in the US (as long as it's legal in Canada) and then just have it imported into Canada.

I've done that I atleast part of my last 2 builds. I always try to source Canadian, but its irritating how often I've been able to get something out of the US quicker then in Canada.

Irunguns has been the easiest and quickest to work with..

I chose HCA, primarily because I wanted more options on how I had the barrel chambered, twist rate and the finished length.

I've got one of each. Pick your poison really. They both shoot better than I do. I had the proof first and would've gone that route the second time if they made a barrel at that particular time in the twist I wanted. I went with HC because they were willing to do a tight twist 25 cal bbl for me before proof was making them. After the long wait, I'm just as happy with it.

I'm working with Mike at HCA on a build I will start soon, I mainly was interested in HCA as I live relatively close. Now being aware of the benefits of his barrels I'm happier I went with HCA.

Also, in my experience, having worked in numerous machine shops, a smaller operation is able to better control what they are doing. I feel this ultimately results in a better product, at a slightly higher cost. One set of hands working on a project is better than it bouncing around to multiple people at a larger establishment.

I'm working with Mike at HCA on a build I will start soon, I mainly was interested in HCA as I live relatively close. Now being aware of the benefits of his barrels I'm happier I went with HCA.

Also, in my experience, having worked in numerous machine shops, a smaller operation is able to better control what they are doing. I feel this ultimately results in a better product, at a slightly higher cost. One set of hands working on a project is better than it bouncing around to multiple people at a larger establishment.

I'm curious about what the benefits are of an HC over a proof barrel. I understand the whole cradle to grave process in a smaller shop but did he claim any other stuff?

I'm asking as I'm dreaming of buying a carbon barrel for my next build, no bias here other than the aesthetic of sanded filament wound vs twill wrapped. No

As mentioned earlier, the lower resin content, and Benchmark barrel blanks. He also wraps his barrels with the fiber orientation parallel to the barrel. Apparently other manufacturers wrap with the fiber orientation in whichever way it ends up. Makes for a stronger barrel lengthwise.