Hells Canyon rifles

Good question. I have the same rifle. Could use a new barrel too. Great action. It's a backup/loader rifle now. Thought the best bang for the buck would be to have a smith rebarrel it. Hadn't thought of having Browning do it.....

I had them install a stalker stock on my medalion in 300 rum and it was bedded when it came back. It cost me $300 plus shipping. That was 17 years ago. I was thinking muzzle brake also. I am going to have to call.

OK,OK, OK! (As Joe Pesche sez) I made a mistake and said Howa made Brownings. It was a "senior moment" and I knew better, like when your say "Turn left" and you really want them to "turn right".

Anyway I do lust after an X-Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor BUT I see they now have a 1:7" twist. That's just too fast for say 129 gr. 6.5 CM bullets and a bit fast for 140 gr. match bullets. Better for 150 gr. and up.

Why Browning did this is beyond me. I could accept 1:7.5" twist but not any faster. So I may look for a pre-2018 6.5 CM X-Bolt with a 1:8" twist.
Plus I'd like to see them with 5R rifling.
...and an Unobtanium action.

My search goes on but meanwhile I'll use my very accurate 6.5 CM Ruger Amer. Predator with Timney trigger and Boyd's Classic laminated stock.
Eric B.

Only the "long range" models have the faster twist, you could buy the speed model and get the 8 twist if you want to shoot lighter bullets.

image.png
TE="Litehiker, post: 1480808, member: 54178"]OK,OK, OK! (As Joe Pesche sez) I made a mistake and said Howa made Brownings. It was a "senior moment" and I knew better, like when your say "Turn left" and you really want them to "turn right".

Anyway I do lust after an X-Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor BUT I see they now have a 1:7" twist. That's just too fast for say 129 gr. 6.5 CM bullets and a bit fast for 140 gr. match bullets. Better for 150 gr. and up.

Why Browning did this is beyond me. I could accept 1:7.5" twist but not any faster. So I may look for a pre-2018 6.5 CM X-Bolt with a 1:8" twist.
Plus I'd like to see them with 5R rifling.
...and an Unobtanium action.

My search goes on but meanwhile I'll use my very accurate 6.5 CM Ruger Amer. Predator with Timney trigger and Boyd's Classic laminated stock.
Eric B.[/QUOTE]

This is Cabelas right now.

Hatrick,
Thanks for the info.! This saves me a lot of hunting.
I can get a deal through my local Sportsman's Warehouse so I'm going to check that rifle's twist rate tomorrow.

THIS is one of the reasons I like this site -good info.

Eric B.

Hatrick,
OK, after dithering for a few weeks last week I bought a Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 CM. Beautifully made rifle! And very light at 6 lb. 1 oz.

I feel it is equal in quality to the SAKO 85 Carbonlight but with a few more features. Both have stainless barreled actions and top quality carbon fiber stocks. BUT, the X-Bolt Pro is almost $1,000. less, street prices.

I'm getting a MARCH 3 - 24 x 42 FFP, mil/mil scope for it. But I think for now I'l put my SWFA 3 -15 x 42 scope on it to see how it shoots Hornady 143 gr.ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo. As well I'll try some 147 gr. ELD-M ammo B/C that stuff seems really good in the wind from my Ruger Precision Rifle.

ERic B.

I have a couple, they are both shooters. For the money you get a lot of custom touches that would cost a bunch on a full custom build. 60 degree bolt throw is awesome also. Just adding the $15 trigger spring makes a world of difference, both mine break at exactly 2 lbs, every time. I wish they had a more conventional mag box like the A bolt, but the mags are longer than the A bolts, can't have the best of both worlds I guess!

I'd buy another in a heart beat.
I cant understand why this 6.5 fad is lasting so long. I decided to give the 338 lm a go about 12 years ago. Ive since sold my other rifles, 28 nosler, 6.5's, 338-378, 25-05, i could go on for days. But now all i have are a few 204 ar's, 22-250 for the kids and my sako trg 42. I would like a lighter weight gun but for long range i cant find one more accurate. And to even think about a 6.5 for elk or moose beyond 1000 yds? I cant think of how many elk or eland ive shot over 1200 yards. The 6.5 could never reliably do that.

im just blown away at how an under powered cartridge could be popular so long.
Sure, sheep at 600 yards have skin as thick as a piece of paper. Maybe big guys like me can handle the recoil or maybe im just willing to pack the 20lb setup in 2 miles one way where as others refuse to get in shape? I dunno. I just cant come up with any model that justifies this 6.5 fad. In my current job im a ballistics expert and I definitely cant figure it out from that standpoint either.

Any thoughts?

Anyone replacing Browning's sling studs with flush cup studs? I will likely do this since I did it on a previous BOYD'S stock and liked it.

Last edited:
UPDATE: MARCH is no longer in the scope business. For my Browning X-Bolt Pro 6.5 PRC I bought a Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 with illuminated G3 small "Christmas tree" reticle.
The LRTS checks all my boxes for a high quality long range hunting scope. It sits in rifle-matching bronze Cerakoted Talley rings.

The only other scope I would consider is a similar Nightforce ATACR.

I cant understand why this 6.5 fad is lasting so long. I decided to give the 338 lm a go about 12 years ago. Ive since sold my other rifles, 28 nosler, 6.5's, 338-378, 25-05, i could go on for days. But now all i have are a few 204 ar's, 22-250 for the kids and my sako trg 42. I would like a lighter weight gun but for long range i cant find one more accurate. And to even think about a 6.5 for elk or moose beyond 1000 yds? I cant think of how many elk or eland ive shot over 1200 yards. The 6.5 could never reliably do that.

im just blown away at how an under powered cartridge could be popular so long.
Sure, sheep at 600 yards have skin as thick as a piece of paper. Maybe big guys like me can handle the recoil or maybe im just willing to pack the 20lb setup in 2 miles one way where as others refuse to get in shape? I dunno. I just cant come up with any model that justifies this 6.5 fad. In my current job im a ballistics expert and I definitely cant figure it out from that standpoint either.

Any thoughts?
Who ever said anything about shooting moose or eland at 1200 yards? Lots of guys still shoot stuff like Deer at "normal" ranges. Congrats to you that you are super in shape and stuff though!