Hello

Ludden_bd

I am new to shooting and do not know very much about it and would like to learn as much as possible. I am alooking for a 308 bolt action with muzzle break, In savage or remington my price range is about 500$. I hope that I can get some info from here.

Thank you very much..

Welcome to long range hunting. The info you are looking for is all through the history of this site. Feel free to play with the search function while you are waiting for replies. The weekends are a bit slow here since it is hunting season everywhere and many of the guys here are probably looking for their game as we speak.

I would give you a answer more relevant to your question but I just snuck on for a peek between jobs. A good answer would take me a while to type up.

Hang tight, answers are on the way.

[ QUOTE ]
I am new to shooting... am alooking for a 308 bolt action with muzzle break, In savage or remington my price range is about 500$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to LRH. There is a fountain of info here. As 4kd said use the search function. Takes a bit of getting used to but kind of opens the door to bunches of stuff.

RE: the $500 part. Keep your eyes open, stroll the gun/pawn/sporting goods stores even gun smiths. Rem or Savage are good choices. 308 is a good choice. The muzzle brake, I'm not sure of. Most rifles w/brakes reduce the recoil to about that of a 308 or so.

I don't think a brake is necessary on a 308 no matter what bullets you shoot + it adds better than a 100 bucks to the cost of the rifle. W/the 308 I feel that optics are more important than a brake. I'd put that on the back burner for awhile. I'd just as soon not use one, they don't have much of a macho factor, but on larger caliburs they make them more comfy to shoot.

Have fun and keep shootin'

I am sorry for the change in guns but I am now looking for a 708 savage. I was told that the 308 and the 708 where about the same and I was wondering how much you all knew about them and what you thought about them both side by side. Thank you for the info.

Usually a gun and cartridge are selected based upon the end use. You will probably get better advice from all of us if you spend a little time telling us where you hunt and what it is you want to hunt.

what I plan to hunt is hopefully deer and elk. I do not think that I will take shots any further then 300 yards.

what I plan to hunt is hopefully deer and elk. I do not think that I will take shots any further then 300 yards. I will be hunting in Oregon.

Being as you plan to hunt elk, I would suggest that you stay with the 308 for two reasons. First - much better selection of factory bullets available for shooting elk, assuming you don't reload.
Second- A little larger hole helps in making the bullet lethal.

Necking cases down and maintaining the same powder capacity generally means you are going to shoot lighter bullets faster at smaller animals. A good example of this is the 30-06 case which is necked down to a 270 Win and from there down to a 25-06. By the time you get it down to the 25-06 you have a very fast and lethal deer gun but not a very good elk gun
Just my opinion and I don't shoot either of them

I am going to reload the bullets with my grumpy because he has allot of 7mm bullets and he said that he would help me with them I will be shooting 120 gr. BT's.

The 120 Nosler Ballistic tip is not known for its ability to break through heavy elk bones nor would I shoot it at a deer. For deer I think you will find the 140 grain class of bullets will give good penetration. You will be better off with a 160 partition or Accubond for elk.

I shot a lot of 120 grain class of bullets at crows and groundhogs and they worked fine for that.

Just a suggestion is that if you want to shoot a 7mm maybe you might want to consider a 7WSM as it has a little more range and ability to shoot the heavier 7mm bullets.

The 7mm-08 would be great for deer and probably fine for elk at the distance you specified, but you can sling a lot better bullets than 120's out of it with the right barrel twist. My savage loves anything 160 grains and up, and that is the size category you'll prolly want for elk. A savage with a 1-10" twist would be great, IMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts