Hello to all my like minded new friends

5.56×250

Hello friends, my name is David. I'm a 54 yr old husband of one , Karen, father of 2, Aaron 20, Hannah 13......
I'm getting back into shooting after a few yrs of being too busy with work and another affliction, archery, to find time to send hot copper down range. Im a DIYer that enjoyed the savage rifle platform before it was common practice to swap a barrel in your living room. Back when folks around here referred to barrel nut guns as " salvage ". Built a little 223 years ago that was a consistent 1/4 MOA shooter with an old Shilens prefit and a laminated factory savage target comp stock I swapped a guy out of because it was too heavy for his liking. That was my first attempt at hand loading too . Shot 52 gr bergers before they offered anything other than a choice of fully swagged target bullets or partially swagged open point " exploaders".
I'm in the process of putting a "remage" toy together in 6.5 cm to play around on the little 100 yd range my son and I built next to the house on my little slice of heaven on 16 acres in ga where I live.
I will stop with the intro now. I look forward to learning some new tricks from the outstanding shooters ,loaders, and smiths on this interesting site.
Thanks for listening and HELLO !

Last edited:
Thanks 67 and Ironman ! Very much looking forward to being able to ASK questions now. Been lurking on here since I got the bug again.

Thanks for the welcome all ! I just finished pillar bedding a Boyd's thumbhole feather weight stock today on my new project. Turned out nice and stress free. Not looking to spend a ton on this build, but I dont want to sacrifice accuracy either. I had a stockys LRC stock on the barreled action, but it wound up a little heavy and chumsey with the Remington varmint wt barrel. First few breaking rounds shot good with the old stock, but I want walk around and offhand comfort from this multipurpose build. The Boyd's knocked a good 1 1/2 pounds off and makes unrested shots much more solid . As it stands, the build consists of.

Remington 700 SA action
Xcaliber sendero wt barrel 24" 1 in 8
6.5 creed
Timney 512 hunter elite trigger
Ebay brake
Boyd's FW thumbhole stock, pillar and glass bedded
Warne 1 PC steel pic rail
Warne vertical steel rings
Athlon Midas Tac 6-24×50 MIL scope
Aluminum Cabelas bought det mag floorplate ( brand elludes my right now) 4 rds

Initial break in with Norma match factory ammo and stockys stock flirted with 1/2 moa accuracy. First 5 shot group had 4 in .300, w a spoiler that grew the group to .571. Next measured .486.
Hopefully going to start load development late next week. This is gonna be fun !

Last edited:
I have 4 boxes total of Norma factory ammo. Hopefully the barrel will be seasoned pretty good by the time I shoot that up. Then I will have 80 once fired Norma brass to get.me started.
I ordered my dies yesterday. A Redding bushing type, full length sizer and a forester micrometer seating die. I also have a lb of h4350 , a lb of rl 16 , 1000 cci br lg rifle primers, and a couple boxes of Berger 130 vlds on the way.
Any advice on where I am so far is welcome.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.