Hello to all my like minded new friends

5.56×250

Hello friends, my name is David. I'm a 54 yr old husband of one , Karen, father of 2, Aaron 20, Hannah 13......
I'm getting back into shooting after a few yrs of being too busy with work and another affliction, archery, to find time to send hot copper down range. Im a DIYer that enjoyed the savage rifle platform before it was common practice to swap a barrel in your living room. Back when folks around here referred to barrel nut guns as " salvage ". Built a little 223 years ago that was a consistent 1/4 MOA shooter with an old Shilens prefit and a laminated factory savage target comp stock I swapped a guy out of because it was too heavy for his liking. That was my first attempt at hand loading too . Shot 52 gr bergers before they offered anything other than a choice of fully swagged target bullets or partially swagged open point " exploaders".
I'm in the process of putting a "remage" toy together in 6.5 cm to play around on the little 100 yd range my son and I built next to the house on my little slice of heaven on 16 acres in ga where I live.
I will stop with the intro now. I look forward to learning some new tricks from the outstanding shooters ,loaders, and smiths on this interesting site.
Thanks for listening and HELLO !

Last edited:

5.56×250

Thanks 67 and Ironman ! Very much looking forward to being able to ASK questions now. Been lurking on here since I got the bug again.

5.56×250

Thanks for the welcome all ! I just finished pillar bedding a Boyd's thumbhole feather weight stock today on my new project. Turned out nice and stress free. Not looking to spend a ton on this build, but I dont want to sacrifice accuracy either. I had a stockys LRC stock on the barreled action, but it wound up a little heavy and chumsey with the Remington varmint wt barrel. First few breaking rounds shot good with the old stock, but I want walk around and offhand comfort from this multipurpose build. The Boyd's knocked a good 1 1/2 pounds off and makes unrested shots much more solid . As it stands, the build consists of.

Remington 700 SA action
Xcaliber sendero wt barrel 24" 1 in 8
6.5 creed
Timney 512 hunter elite trigger
Ebay brake
Boyd's FW thumbhole stock, pillar and glass bedded
Warne 1 PC steel pic rail
Warne vertical steel rings
Athlon Midas Tac 6-24×50 MIL scope
Aluminum Cabelas bought det mag floorplate ( brand elludes my right now) 4 rds

Initial break in with Norma match factory ammo and stockys stock flirted with 1/2 moa accuracy. First 5 shot group had 4 in .300, w a spoiler that grew the group to .571. Next measured .486.
Hopefully going to start load development late next week. This is gonna be fun !

Last edited:

5.56×250

I have 4 boxes total of Norma factory ammo. Hopefully the barrel will be seasoned pretty good by the time I shoot that up. Then I will have 80 once fired Norma brass to get.me started.
I ordered my dies yesterday. A Redding bushing type, full length sizer and a forester micrometer seating die. I also have a lb of h4350 , a lb of rl 16 , 1000 cci br lg rifle primers, and a couple boxes of Berger 130 vlds on the way.
Any advice on where I am so far is welcome.

Last edited:

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce