hello there

plumeja

I am new to long range shooting, so new that i just got my first heavy target gun. browning x-bolt eclipse target 308. I want t start to shoot tergets at 600 yards and on, but i may start at 300 after zeroing in.....the next big step is getting a scope. there are so many chooses and im a bit lost. I cant break the bank on this i want to spend like 600 to 700. even that is high for me right now in my life. wondering about input and ideas.
this gun will most likely be a target gun cant see carrying a 10lb gun around the woods. Im going to get bipods for it too. im excited about this so let the ideas flow!!

Welcome to the huge black hole we call "long range shooters money pit".

You can pick up a good used Leupold or Vortex within the price range you mentioned without much difficulty. Just don't get in a hurry. Wait for the scope that has the features you want.

thats one thing that im not to sure one is the features i want/need. be doing a bunch of research and there seems to be a lot if the same things but then personal touches too...just not sure which way to go or to look for

I agree with keeping an eye out in the classifieds...hopefully on more than one site. Always make sure you get pictures of the scope...looking for obvious damage to the scope tube, turrets and scratched objectives.

Having said that....maybe you could shed a little more light....you say you want to shoot targets at 600 yards and beyond. Are you punching holes in paper or metal targets? Would you possibly using it to hunt varmints and perhaps big game in open country?

Thankfully, these days, we have many good scopes to choose from. A feature I would recommend, especially for starting out, would be to have a zero stop. If you are just starting out and learning to dial in your dope ( predetermined adjustments for a certain range and wind conditions for you particular ammo ) it's really easy to get lost with how many clicks and how to get back. I'd also recommend sticking with a SFP ( second focal plane ) scope. The reticle will stay constant and it will help you concentrate on your shooting mechanics.

You will probably get tons of excellent advice on which brand or model of scope to go with. Ultimately, you will have to decide....the internet is awesome for gathering information...but you can't get behind each scope on the internet. Look at features, reviews of optical and turret performance, warranties and if there has been a consistent issue with the particular scopes you are looking at.

I will throw one scope out for you to consider. That would be the Vortex Viper PST SFP. This would stretch your budget by $50.....but you will have an outstanding warranty and a company that really takes care of their customers. It also has a zero stop feature and exposed turrets, which are very handy for making adjustments. Here's a link to what I was thinking, the moa version:

Vortex - Camera Land NY

Good Luck....you will get a bunch of recommendations....take your time and research the advice you were given. Realize....we all have personal preferences and those preferences may be reflected in our recommendations...it's human nature.

Wayne

I agree with keeping an eye out in the classifieds...hopefully on more than one site. Always make sure you get pictures of the scope...looking for obvious damage to the scope tube, turrets and scratched objectives.

Having said that....maybe you could shed a little more light....you say you want to shoot targets at 600 yards and beyond. Are you punching holes in paper or metal targets? Would you possibly using it to hunt varmints and perhaps big game in open country?

Im not sure what i will be hitting....I have never been to the range yet. If i find some crown land to shoot on it would be paper till i find some steel.

There is one scope brand I would stay away from. That is Vortex. I have yet to see one at the range that is as good as the other scopes there. Had a chance to look though another last Saturday. Re-affirmed my opinion of them again.

One in your price range that has certainly impressed me with its glass is the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. I don't know how good the repeatability is, though.

As mentioned, I would keep an eye on the classified sections. There are some good deals that do come along.

In the price range you are wanting to stay within, I would look for brands such as Leupold, Zeiss, Sightron and some models of Busnel.

I too am not a fan of Vortex based on my experience with owning a PST.

Good luck!

There is one scope brand I would stay away from. That is Vortex. I have yet to see one at the range that is as good as the other scopes there. Had a chance to look though another last Saturday. Re-affirmed my opinion of them again.

One in your price range that has certainly impressed me with its glass is the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. I don't know how good the repeatability is, though.

So what model of Vortex did you look through? How many different ones have you looked through? It seems like a very broad statement to condemn a company because you've looked through a couple at the range. Every brand will have budget or entry level scopes....and yes...they will not be the clearest etc. But you generally get what you pay for. I own a Viper 6.5-20X by 50mm....which I would consider to be their entry level scope. This scope has performed flawlessly in terms of repeatability. It also has decent optics....for the $280 I paid for it new. I also have the PST FFP 6-24X. I consider this to be a mid level scope. The turrets are extremely nice....much nicer than I would have anticipated. The glass is noticeably better than the viper.....probably just a tick below a Sightron S III. But the PST has great features like a zero stop, very positive clicking...exposed turrets and lighted reticle. Stepping up to their Razor line....Vortex competes very favorably to any top tier manufacturer...especially in their price range.

Guess I could say stay away from Bushnell because I had a 4200 Elite 6-24X that had turrets that didn't repeat, a very unforgiving eye box and the optics weren't especially clear. I sent it back to Bushnell to have then work on the turrets....they sat on it for a while and sent it back without any explanation of what they did and it still didn't function properly. But I realize that Bushnell makes so many other lines of scopes...that I wouldn't pass judgement on the entire company based on one scope that I had owned.

Wayne

Last edited:
I am new to long range shooting, so new that i just got my first heavy target gun. browning x-bolt eclipse target 308. I want t start to shoot tergets at 600 yards and on, but i may start at 300 after zeroing in.....the next big step is getting a scope. there are so many chooses and im a bit lost. I cant break the bank on this i want to spend like 600 to 700. even that is high for me right now in my life. wondering about input and ideas.
this gun will most likely be a target gun cant see carrying a 10lb gun around the woods. Im going to get bipods for it too. im excited about this so let the ideas flow!!

Since it's going to be a target rifle, one of the fixed SWFA SS (Classic | SWFA) scopes for under $300 is hard to beat.

Senderofan,

There have been more than a few I have looked though. From the owners I discovered the Vortexes have been different price levels. When I compared them to my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 none had as good a glass as the 6500. The reason I don't know how repeatable the 6500 is is because I sighted it in and it stay sighted in. It has mill dots that I have used out to 400, so I have not turned the turret.

If Vortex makes binoculars, I have not seen them.

Senderofan,

There have been more than a few I have looked though. From the owners I discovered the Vortexes have been different price levels. When I compared them to my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 none had as good a glass as the 6500. The reason I don't know how repeatable the 6500 is is because I sighted it in and it stay sighted in. It has mill dots that I have used out to 400, so I have not turned the turret.

If Vortex makes binoculars, I have not seen them.

Yes...If you mean Vortex makes different levels of scopes....by your statement on price. They have entry level, mid level and top tier. My PST has much better turrets and glass than my Elite 4200 did....both are 6-24X. And they would be in the same class....mid level. Anyway....to each their own.

Here's a link to the binoculars that Vortex makes:
Vortex Optics - Binoculars

Again...they will offer entry level, mid level and top tier binoculars as well as spotting scopes.

Wayne

Senderofan,

Are you a Vortex salesman or a fan? The best Vortex didn't impress me.

No...Neither. I'm a consumer....I have a very vested interest in securing high value for my dollar. And for the money...I happen to think Vortex has very viable options for consumers.

You still have not said which "Best" scope from Vortex you thought was terribly inferior. Was it a CrossFire?, Diamond Back?, Viper? Viper -HS ( T)?, Viper-PST?, Razor Gen 1 or Gen 2? The issue I have is blanket statements....."I would never purchase a scope from manufacturer X...because I looked through one or two and felt they are inferior." I think it would be more helpful to provide more details such as: Were the turrets off? Were you not able to adjust the parallax properly? Was there a huge amount of CA? Was there tunneling? Was the eye box unforgiving. Were you unable to get the scope focused to your satisfaction. These are the things that are more helpful to people.....rather than just saying "I was not impressed."

I have scopes from Refield, Nikon , Sightron, IOR and Premier Heritage. I have also enjoyed scopes from Kahles, NightForce, Burris and Leupold. I try and select a scope for its merits, my budget at that time and the rifles particular job.......not out of brand loyalty.

So in the quest for sharing as accurate of information as we can on this forum.....I disagreed with your blanket statement. There was no intent to make it personal....just for you to provide more detail on your statement. Just so this doesn't turn into a Ford versus Chevy and Dodge scenario......which never really helps anyone out. I happen to enjoy reading detailed pro's and con's on scopes....it really helps me when it comes time to make a purchase. I live in a rural area and most of the time have to make my purchases based on what I've read on multiple forums....we don't have retail stores with multitudes of different scopes to compare.

Wayne

I would venture a guess that if you compared a Razor Gen2 4.5-27x with your 6500......with both scopes adjusted properly.....you would not call the Razor inferior to your Bushnell.

Last edited:
Senderofan,

You sound like a fan to me.

Back to my experience. Every Vortex I looked though at the range, even when the owner said something like, "This is one of the more expensive ones. Check it out," was not up to the hype or matched my 6500. But then the only scope to beat the 6500 was a couple Nightforces. There is definitely a step up from the Swarovski and Bushnell to the Nightforces I have looked through at the range and other places.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.