Hello from Washington

landcbeitner

I'm new here, but have been arround shooting my whole life. Helped my father and grand father reload since I can remember. Started out with 22 at 6yrs of age (just started my son out at age 5). At 9yrs of age my dad decided it was time to shoot high power rifles to prepare for hunting (got my first buck at age 10). Started shooting a 243 win out to 400yds since age 9 (texas hold over). Started experimenting with shooting 500yds at age 16 (took a nice buck at 500yds that year). Age 21 got into long range precision shooting, starting out with eggs at 500yds. Now have progressed to shooting eggs and clay pigeons out to 740yds (Steel also of course). Have been learing everything I can about improving myself and my equipment. I mostly shoot a couple 308win and 270 now but I have a 243 with the smith now, and have a 338 Lapua project in the works as well. The extreme distances you guys are shooting forced me to join, I'm hoping to target shoot at 1760yds once the Lapua Mag is finished.

Welcome!

Greetings from a fellow Washingtonian (and Snohomish county resident, for that matter). Beware this site, it's addictive and expensive!

I've been shooting most of my life also, but am new to long range... I am well into the process of jumping in with both feet (building dedicated long range rig, getting together reloading setup, etc).

Do you mind sharing (either publicly or privately) where you do your extended distance shooting around here? I'm aware of the various shooting ranges, but the distances you mention (which are what I am interested in) sound like some nice open land. Not being a native to the area (grew up in Idaho), I'm a little behind when it comes down to tracking down public land suitable for such purposes. Would appreciate any tips you can throw my way.

Anyway, welcome to the site, and enjoy!

Matt

We've got a little spot off of HWY 2 (Steven's Pass). Here's some pics
500yds
500yds.jpg

612yds
612yds.jpg

740yds
740yds.jpg

Here's a pic of my buddies 308 (left) and mine (right) ready for some fun with clay pigeons at 740yds
014-1.jpg

I've got pleanty more pics but I don't want to over do it.

Thanks!

Nice pics and looks like a nice spot. I haven't really been up that way (except driving through on a day with little visibility), I'll have to scope it out sometime. Thank you for sharing.

Matt

landcbeitner

Welcome aboard. A great post. I had no idea one do that kind of shooting over there. Those angles and shooting spot situations are pretty realistic and make for great preparation.

Hmmmm, Everett, Snohomish. I had Snoqualmie Falls Lodge waffles for breakfast yesterday. I have kids about your age in Kirkland and Samamish. The visits there a long and boring with nothing to do but watch TV. Playing with grandkids is great though.

If a could shoot a bit and meet some good folks I'd visit more often. Would a gray haired old dude work into your schedule. The weather doesn't mean squat to me, just so the target can be seen. I also think my "Big Girl" maybe could reach that far. Hittin' anything is improbable due mostly to "pilot error".:eek:

I think it would be nifty and greatly beneficial (read selfish) to drive 12 hours, set up for any of those shots and see if the "first" shot is in the kill zone. With witnesses, no less! Ain't that what LRH is all about. That's what I'd call real practice.

Last edited:
Age makes no difference to me, heck if you're that much older there's likely that much more I could learn from you. My buddy and I have had guys meet us out there before (I'm a member of another long range shooting community). The only issue with our shooting spot now is snow. Sometimes I can borrow my dad's truck and get through some serious snow but my veichle, while all wheel drive, has about an 8" snow limit:(.
143.jpg

Gravel roads the rest of the year are a breeze!:D

I watched your video on the LR targets thread.

Put me in. I guess it takes a bit of youth to put the fun in stuff.

Next time I come up there I'll bring the "Big Girl" and attempt to make contact and join in the festivities.

However, I think you missed way too many eggs.:D

If you're looking to meet some other long-range shooters in Washington, consider shooting some prone matches. You can shoot F-class off a rest or bipod, or sling up and shoot conventional prone, even with a scope. Washington is an amazing hotbed of NRA Highpower and prone competition with a surprising number of ranges scattered around the state.

My home range is the North Central Washington gun club where we have a 600 yard target range and some sort of practice or match most months. I've also shot at Rattlesnake, which is a 1000 yard range in the Tri-Cities area, as well as at Paul Bunyan range, Machias near Lake Stevens and at the Plantation range near Bellingham.

For more info on these ranges check the Washington State Rifle and Pistol Association web page. The 2008 schedules aren't up yet, but will be posted, probably pretty soon. Home

There are also some far less formal "tactical" type matches aruond the state. We're holding one at the end of March in Wenatchee. It will be the 7th or 8th year in a row we've held the match. Lots of fun. This year it's a two-day affair, but you can shoot either Saturday, Sunday or both, it doesn't matter.

For more info on that match, and others in the Pacific Northwest, and on the West Coast in general, take a look at West Coast Tactical

A bunch of good guys there who love to shoot! We just had a 600 yard "practice" and a mini-match at Wenatchee and will be having another one in February.

guymatch01.jpg

A shot of me on the firing line earlier this month. We had to shovel about a foot of snow to get down to the concrete pad, but the shooting was great!

The shooting community in the Pacific Northwest is pretty darned welcoming to new shooters, and there are a lot of shooting opportunities. You'd be amazed at the skill and credentials of some of the regulars on the firing lines at matches around the state.

Regards, Guy

another washingtonian

checking in from Naches. Been shooting all my life all kinds of guns and bows. My buddy is the sniper shooting coach for the Yakima Police dept. Swat team and he and I have a shooting range about 3 min. from my house that we can reach about 1200 yards. We spend our time shooting milk jugs full of water at 1020yds. He is shooting a pretty much stock 300 winmag. and I'm shooting a 270 Allen Mag. Needless to say he has to dial a LOT more elevation to get to the jugs than I do! ha ha.

My buddy and I both want to start getting into the local competitons, great to hear from so many local long-range shooters! I like the milk jug idea, some days (especially in gusty winds) I wish my targets were larger than eggs and clay pigeons. I've got some steel up, and can't wait for the snow to melt a bit. As far as traveling around the state to shoot, it my take a bit of convincing for my wife to buy in to it.

P.S. Awesome pic Guy! I love to see shooting pics from real shooters.

I grew up in Burlington and now live in Sedro Woolley (after 9 years in Vegas). I actually work down your way in Bothell. My buddy and I are getting into the long range game with Senderos in 300 Ultra. We are just starting to work out some of the kinks to get the results we want and are learning a lot along the way. We've shot at 1000 a few times in the last month (private property) and are starting to work up drop charts. Be fun to get together sometime and shoot...maybe when it warms up a bit.

Bill C

That would be awesome. I've never got to practice at 1000yds, 308's aren't a very good caliber for that, but it would be tons of fun. Once I get my 338 Lapua together, I'd like to try shooting a mile (1760yds). Once it gets a little warmer, send me a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.