Hello from VA

Welcome. I am in eastern NC, but would like to retire in S.W. Va. I grew up in W.Va so I miss the hills. We travel to Fancy Gap and Hillsville on a regular basis. Would like to know more about the deer hunting in those area, leases, private land ,etc. I am not a deer , dog type of guy. Just a still hunter. Also miss the trout fishing. Not much of any of that here in eastern NC. A couple of more years as a LEO them I am headed for the hills , hopefully. Again, welcome. A lot of great info here.

Welcome. I am in eastern NC, but would like to retire in S.W. Va. I grew up in W.Va so I miss the hills. We travel to Fancy Gap and Hillsville on a regular basis. Would like to know more about the deer hunting in those area, leases, private land ,etc. I am not a deer , dog type of guy. Just a still hunter. Also miss the trout fishing. Not much of any of that here in eastern NC. A couple of more years as a LEO them I am headed for the hills , hopefully. Again, welcome. A lot of great info here.

Northeast TN and S.W. Virginia has some great trout fishing. Some of the streams around Fancy Gap should have some as well. Haven't ever fished Hillsville but I would think there would be some.

I spent 11 years as a LEO in VA but gave it up at start a new career with the RR.

Hope to get a least 2 more years in, but as you know, it is getting old quick. I do hope to get to S.W. Va. Tenn. would be good as well. I just need the hills, it is in my blood. Nothing better than big deer, groundhogs and trout in the spring. Turkeys, bear, and coyotes are a plus, along with Bluegrass music. I am just a hillbilly stuck here in flatland. This is my wife's home, so it could be a tough move, but she does love the hills as well. That is one of the pluses of this great web site, you just never know.

Last edited:
I'll echo Bait57 on the trout fishing. Grayson Highlands area and Damascus has some fantastic fishing. Good fishing over on both TN and NC sides as well. Deer hunting isn't too shabby either.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.