Hello from Tx

w squared

Good morning

I'm not a new shooter (I grew up with air rifles and 22's, and spent 6 years in the Army), but I am new to both hunting and long range shooting.

I'll be up front and say that given where I live in Texas I don't anticipate that I'll be taking true long range shots on game animals any time soon - but given that I love hog hunting and I'm very much enjoying the small amount of long range shooting that I've done so far I am eager to learn more and this forum looks to be a great resource.

Most of my hunting so far has been at typical SE Texas feral hog ranges - under 100 yards through a hole in the brush. The longest shot that I have taken on an hog was 80 yards, and I have never managed to get a line of sight on a hog that was further than 150 yards away. With that said, I have no issue with taking a much longer shot if I am doing it under conditions where I have invested the time and effort shooting paper or steel to know that I make the shot required to ethically harvest that game animal.

At this point the only "long range" rifle that I own is a Swiss K31 in 7.5x55. Using surplus Swiss GP11 ammo I've managed five shot groups of 1 to 1.5 MOA on a consistent basis at 100, 200 and 300 yards off the bench, and I've had no issues hitting gongs at 400 yards. I have access to a range that will let me shoot paper and steel out to 600 yards, and I'm looking forward to spending more time learning about my rifle, reading the wind, and what I need to be doing as the range opens up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.