Hello from Tuscany-Italy!

MAF47

Hello,
I'm a hunter-shooter with a natural bent for the longrange shooting...
That's why I feel at home in the LRH world!
MAF47

Ya what caliber, and what do you hunt in Italy? I have a couple cousins that visited Italy a couple years ago. They both loved it. Glad you found L/R/H

Welcome aboard......

You'll enjoy it.

Are there any "Chiappini" folks hanging around that neck of the woods. My grandfather and his dad came from around there and I can't get beyond them.

Great grand dad was a blacksmith - put shoes on Mussolini's mules.:rolleyes: Funny 'legend' as to why he immigrated......

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Last edited:
welcome!

italy has beautiful scenery and women, fabulous wine (amarone) fabulous food and now long range shooting pretty much everything a man could want!

what do you shoot and what with?

Hi TACKB,

I think you have already been in Italy...
Now we have even the long range shooting, as consequence of the diffusion of the hunt with rifles.
I am shooting deers and boars with a 300WSM, Roe deers with a 6.5-284. and 6PPC until 200 m. I also shoot foxes and varmints with a 22-250.
Only the 22-250 is a production rifle: the others are custom made.
I use to reload all my rounds, just for a full pleasure...

And what about you?

MAF47

Welcome aboard......

You'll enjoy it.

Are there any "Chiappini" folks hanging around that neck of the woods. My grandfather and his dad came from around there and I can't get beyond them.

Great grand dad was a blacksmith - put shoes on Mussolini's mules.:rolleyes: Funny 'legend' as to why he immigrated......

Hi,
actually there are many "Chiappini" here in Tuscany. as well as in the central Italy.
Do you remember the name of the town where your grandparents were from?
MAF47

Reply to ICANHITHIMMAN and WINMAG
Hi,
I hunt deers with 300WSM MAF with a chamber modified in some dimensions for a better management of 180-210 gn. bullets. The engine is composed by a well assembled Nesika/Krieger/Jewell rig with a suitable McM A-5 body. The muzzle brake is my design, based on the Sako TRG style. Being this hunt usually made in low light conditions, I decided to use a Hensoldt 6-24x72 that confirmed to be the max. in these situations
I also hunt Roe-deers, a bit smaller game than the whitetails, with another custom made 6.5-284 rifle with a BCM action (a skilled italian gunsmith), Border bbl and Jewell trigger. The scope is a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56. When hunting the roe-deers at shorter ranges I also use the 6PPC, a surgical instrument that I love a bunch. The rifle is custom made with a Sako action, Sako modified trigger, Lilja barrel and a McM stock. scope is a S.&B.4-16x50 varmint.
I also use a production 22-250 caliber for varmints and sometimes also for roe-deers.
I handload all my rounds: for this purpose Iam fortunately well introduced with Bruno Shooters, Sinclair and Midsouth.
I can tell you that all the rifles are very accurate and I love them all (but my wife doesn't know it).
Let me know about you.
MAF47

Ive got 6 .22lr's one is a custom one is a colt. the rest arent too special.
Ive got a pile of Winchesters, but the two I load for and shoot most are the .270WSM, and 300wby.
I have a few others in the gun cabnet that arent Winchesters too.
Ive got a few shotguns for birds, and clays.
I do not yet own a custom, however, my Model 70 Winchester, 300Wbymag will be my first build as soon as I have enough $ put togather to talk serious with a smith.
I love Bear huntin, and deer and elk too. We go out shootin ground squirls, and rabbits. and coyotes etc. for something to do. Untill recently I had a model 70 Win, .223WSSM that i used for long range varmint whackin' but traded it off. now I have to use a 22 or 270wsm for varmints......oops, guess I need another rifle. Breaks my heart to say that too:D

MAF47, i have been to italy and love it , not been to tuscany yet but it's on the list.

i shoot a 260 remington , a 308 remington and a 300 rum as my main hunting rifles they are all custom , my next project is a .223 or similar for up to 400m on small game like rabbits and maybe the odd muntjac deer (very small)

I also have a number of other rifles like a .303 P14 and a 45/120 sharps but i don't use these on game , i would love to take the sharps to america and have a go at a bison one day though?

Russ

Jon,
why are you that cool?
Did you have a bad experience with EU members?
Maf

No, no! Cool in this case is an idiom which means "good". :)

My wife and I enjoyed Tuscany the most when we toured Italy 10 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.