Hello from Tucson

TRexF16

Hi,
I'm Rex and I just joined the forum. I've been hunting the western USA for about 30 years. I'm glad to be here and hope to learn a lot from those more experienced and maybe share a bit of what I have learned myself. I would not consider myself a "Long Range Hunter" as I certainly don't take long shots on purpose. I much prefer to get close if possible, but sometimes you can't. And when that happens I want to be able to take the shot with skill and confidence. I have killed a couple critters at range - my furthest kill shot was 416 paces with a 25-06 and that was back before we had laser rangefinders. Last fall I shot a pronghorn through the heart with my M70 FWT in 6.5x55 at a ranged 350 yards when I just couldn't get any closer. This isn't meant as bragging, just bounding where I am experience-wise and establishing that at least up to now I am not one of those 500 yard plus shooters, like many of you are certainly capable of doing.

Anyhow, nice to meet you all and thanks for having me. Looking forward to learning from you.

Cheers,
Rex

Welcome to the forum! I know what you mean by limiting your hunting shot distance to match your abilities. At this time I have a self imposed limit of 450 yds.

Hey, just a follow-up. I'm still not a long range shooter, but I am getting much more confident. Since I wrote that intro in Jan 2019, I have killed pronghorn at 407 yards, 350 yards, and 315 yards, and a mule deer at 457. Those were my "longish" shots.
Also killed two elk, one at 151 and one at about 80, a Coues whitetail at about 150, three Montana whitetail inside 100 (buck and two does), and a mule deer doe at 118.
I retired in April 2019, 4 months after I made my intro above, and I can say the hunting has been GREAT since then.
I have some nice long range rigs in the works and will maybe take some longer shots if I can't get closer in the future as my skills and knowledge improve. I've learned much from you folks.

Cheers,
Rex

Welcome and for me long range is only determined by the person doing the work. For some it may be 100 or 1000 yards. There is a lot of good information and a lot of information that may not be so good. Take it all in, find your own answers, and be willing to try what you have confidence with. Enjoy and do what makes your happy not what someone else wants you to do.

Hi,
I'm Rex and I just joined the forum. I've been hunting the western USA for about 30 years. I'm glad to be here and hope to learn a lot from those more experienced and maybe share a bit of what I have learned myself. I would not consider myself a "Long Range Hunter" as I certainly don't take long shots on purpose. I much prefer to get close if possible, but sometimes you can't. And when that happens I want to be able to take the shot with skill and confidence. I have killed a couple critters at range - my furthest kill shot was 416 paces with a 25-06 and that was back before we had laser rangefinders. Last fall I shot a pronghorn through the heart with my M70 FWT in 6.5x55 at a ranged 350 yards when I just couldn't get any closer. This isn't meant as bragging, just bounding where I am experience-wise and establishing that at least up to now I am not one of those 500 yard plus shooters, like many of you are certainly capable of doing.

Anyhow, nice to meet you all and thanks for having me. Looking forward to learning from you.

Cheers,
Rex
Good morning Rex I'm glad you found us here at Long Range Hunting very nice to meet you,I am Bill from Tennessee. And with 30 years of experience I'm sure you will have some thing to add to our pool of knowledge here don't sell yourself short you've been doing it 30 years