Hello From South Africa

Pierre 22-250

Hello guys! first off, thanks for a great forum!

I am From South Africa and own a savage mod12 in 22-250 1:9twist. We do not have alot of people in the country shooting these tighter twists so I have to look for info elsewhere. In the near future I would like to compete out to 500yds with my setup just because the old folk believes it cannot be done with a small caliber like mine.

Hope to learn allot here!

Welcome to the forum! The 22-250 is one of my favorite cartridges. My rifle is the slow twist so I have to use the lighter bullets. With your faster twist you can shoot a much heavier bullet. Berger ( and others? ) offer a 90 grain bullet with a really good ballistic coefficient.

Good luck competing with the 22-250. That sounds like fun. There's lots of good information around here.

-- Todd

Thanks for the welcoming replies gentlemen.

My friend also has the slow twist and honestly I still think his Sako 14:1 setup might be more accurate than mine. He shoots 53gr vmax. I did shoot some 75gr berger VLDs but struggled to find more in our country so i had to switch over to 75gr Hornady ELD-m, and I am very very happy this far! I get around 3400fps with our locally made powder called S365. Its more or less in the class of IMR4350. I am kind of close to pressure limits though so the bullet holder stays far from heat sources when we go shooting. Unluckilly for me the rifles sweet spot sits at this speed and the slower sweetspot is so slow that I do not get a gas seal and get some blow back fouling the whole chamber!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts