Hello from Scotland

sealgair

Hello!

I've been reading posts and articles on here and thought it was probably time I joined, as looking at getting a new (to me calibre) of .280AI and will be needing some advice I would expect.

I'm a professional deer stalker here in Scotland, which is essentially what you'd call a guide in all other parts of the world, and work predominately with red deer in the more mountainous areas of the Highlands (photo below) and also a little with Sika deer in the forest. Enjoy my long range shooting and always looking to learn.

Thanks,

Sam

Attachments

• stalking fisherfield.JPG
    stalking fisherfield.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Welcome Sam! I haven't owned a 280ai but I have loaded for multiple cartridges of 7mm. I think it will make great rifle for you. Great bullet selections from 160-180gr in Berger & Hornady among others. That weight range of bullets in the 280ai should be more than adequate for what you will be hunting.

Welcome, I did a sort of pilgrimage to Scotland a few years ago and got to catch a beautiful brown trout in invergarry. Would love to go back stalking, gorgeous land.

Welcome! I've always wanted to goto Scotland so very jealous of you. I haven't done anything with 280AI but it is a great round. Good luck with it!

Sam, I'm sure there will be more folks posting who has experience with the 280AI. I would guess that RL26 would be a great choice for powder in that cartridge with 160-180 bullets if you can get your hands on some RL26. I personally like the 180eldm. But like I said earlier, there's many great bullet choices in 7mm

Hello!

I've been reading posts and articles on here and thought it was probably time I joined, as looking at getting a new (to me calibre) of .280AI and will be needing some advice I would expect.

I'm a professional deer stalker here in Scotland, which is essentially what you'd call a guide in all other parts of the world, and work predominately with red deer in the more mountainous areas of the Highlands (photo below) and also a little with Sika deer in the forest. Enjoy my long range shooting and always looking to learn.

Thanks,

Sam
Welcome Sam,

You will love the 280AI. I'm new to it also but I have found H4831SC, H4350 and IMR4350 have been great so far with either 168 or 150 grain nosler ABLR. I suggest that you try the Hammer bullets also. Looks like they can now sell outside of the US.

Warren

Welcome to the forum glad to have you and that is some beautiful country by the way I got to start playing the lotto so maybe I can take a trip over there and visit you

As others said, welcome to the forum(s). Spent a week in Scotland while assigned to NATO. Unfortunately (hunting wise) I was with spouse and two 'younguns'. Did not know how rough the highlands are.
Welcome agan.

nice to meet you, Sam. It's good to know that there are still hunting traditions surviving over there. I taught school in Cornwall years ago, backpacked all around England, Wales and Ireland, but ran out of time before getting to Scotland. It's ironic, because my main area of study at the time was iron age Celtic "history" and prehistory.

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for the picture. I'm interested in what other part of the world look like.

-- Todd

Welcome from the People's Republic of Maryland, Sam! That is a breathtaking picture. What a beautiful part of the world!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.