Hello from Scotland

sp_thompson

Hello!

I've been reading posts and articles on here and thought it was probably time I joined, as looking at getting a new (to me calibre) of .280AI and will be needing some advice I would expect.

I'm a professional deer stalker here in Scotland, which is essentially what you'd call a guide in all other parts of the world, and work predominately with red deer in the more mountainous areas of the Highlands (photo below) and also a little with Sika deer in the forest. Enjoy my long range shooting and always looking to learn.

Thanks,

Sam

Attachments

Last edited:

djfergus

Welcome Sam! I haven't owned a 280ai but I have loaded for multiple cartridges of 7mm. I think it will make great rifle for you. Great bullet selections from 160-180gr in Berger & Hornady among others. That weight range of bullets in the 280ai should be more than adequate for what you will be hunting.

jmcmath

Welcome, I did a sort of pilgrimage to Scotland a few years ago and got to catch a beautiful brown trout in invergarry. Would love to go back stalking, gorgeous land.

Eatonc

Welcome! I’ve always wanted to goto Scotland so very jealous of you. I haven’t done anything with 280AI but it is a great round. Good luck with it!

djfergus

Sam, I'm sure there will be more folks posting who has experience with the 280AI. I would guess that RL26 would be a great choice for powder in that cartridge with 160-180 bullets if you can get your hands on some RL26. I personally like the 180eldm. But like I said earlier, there's many great bullet choices in 7mm

Warrenoliver

Hello!

I've been reading posts and articles on here and thought it was probably time I joined, as looking at getting a new (to me calibre) of .280AI and will be needing some advice I would expect.

I'm a professional deer stalker here in Scotland, which is essentially what you'd call a guide in all other parts of the world, and work predominately with red deer in the more mountainous areas of the Highlands (photo below) and also a little with Sika deer in the forest. Enjoy my long range shooting and always looking to learn.

Thanks,

Sam
Welcome Sam,

You will love the 280AI. I'm new to it also but I have found H4831SC, H4350 and IMR4350 have been great so far with either 168 or 150 grain nosler ABLR. I suggest that you try the Hammer bullets also. Looks like they can now sell outside of the US.

Warren

Bill Cauley Jr

LRH Team Member
Welcome to the forum glad to have you and that is some beautiful country by the way I got to start playing the lotto so maybe I can take a trip over there and visit you

Riflehunter1776

nice to meet you, Sam. It's good to know that there are still hunting traditions surviving over there. I taught school in Cornwall years ago, backpacked all around England, Wales and Ireland, but ran out of time before getting to Scotland. It's ironic, because my main area of study at the time was iron age Celtic "history" and prehistory.

ShtrRdy

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for the picture. I'm interested in what other part of the world look like.

-- Todd

YZ-80

Welcome from the People’s Republic of Maryland, Sam! That is a breathtaking picture. What a beautiful part of the world!

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce