Hello from Salem, OR

AJBello

Greetings everyone -

Just checking in here in OR. I'm new to this site, but not new to shooting. I also frequent SnipersHide, but find the LR hunting info there lacking as it's just not the main theme. I'm acquiring parts for a 338 build and am looking for some more input on it.

I hunt blacktail deer here in the Willamette Valley, and should be able to draw a mule deer Eastern OR tag this year. Typical blacktail shots are well under 200 yards around here. However, I also hunt Roosevelt Elk here in the OR coast range. Due to the terrain (steep), cross-canyon shooting is one of the most practical approaches. Typical shots are 600-1000+ for that approach. I took a 4x4 bull elk this year at 662 yards with a Barrett M99, and find that rifle lacking for the job, thus my 338 build. Mind you the ballistics of the 50 certainly aren't lacking, but the trigger is horrible, it's not really that ergonomic, the bipod cants too easy with no way of locking it in, its prohibitively heavy, it cost too much to practice as much as I should... etc, etc.

Anyhow, I'll be starting a new thread regarding my 338 build, what I've got so far and the way Im planning on going with it. Input very much welcomed.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Hey AJ I live in Stayton and work in Salem I own Mid valley Line-x stop by some time we'll talk long range hunting. I shoot a 338 win mag. I often think about calling chris at pac nor to re-barrel to something like you are doing, but it shoots .5" to 1" at 200yds so I will leave it untill starts shooting larger groups. keep us posted on your build

Later, Wade

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.