Hello from Montana

gn6842

Just signed up again after a couple of years of moving around. I'm trying to get into the long range hunting with my Ultra Mags and I found the Nosler Accubonds are good out to 5 or 600 yds but I want to go to a thousand. Are Berger the best?

I'm in Hamilton Montana now. Two years.
I had a problem with a 300 gr accubond at 2825 fps in my 338 RUM. I hit an elk going over a ridge straight away angling loins toward heart. A 430 yard shot. I expected to find a dead elk in the quarter mile of low sage. No elk, no blood no animal in sight. I searched all day and most of the next. I finally found her on day 4 about 400 yards up the hill and in the brush. My hopes at a long range load faded. The Accubond held together too much and penetrated a lot with little expansion. I'm afraid it would have been worse out to 1000 yds.
I traded velocity for long range energy .720 BC. I know from experience that the 225 gr bullet at 3200 fps would have given me a lot of energy transfer and blood. She wouldn't have gotten very far and died. But it lacks the high BC and limits my range.
Do the Berger bullets give me what I'm looking for in your opinion?
Thanks
Greg

Sorry for your unfavorable experience with the NABs with your elk hunt.

I don't have any hands on experience with the Berger VLDs in .338 but I know that there's quite a few members with excellent results out of their RUMs, LMs, EDGEs, etc ...

I harvested a bull elk in 2013 at 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD at 3043 FPS out of my .300 Win Mag. The elk managed to run 200 yards and rolled down until it finally expired 600 yards below where it was initially shot.

Cheers!

Congratulations on the bull elk. The accubonds have been good for me but I never went with such a heavy bullet before. I'm going to try some 190 gr. Bergers in the 300 RUM and if they shoot accurately I'll hunt them this year.
Thank you for the info. Wow 931 yards. Good shot indeed!:D

Congratulations on the bull elk. The accubonds have been good for me but I never went with such a heavy bullet before. I'm going to try some 190 gr. Bergers in the 300 RUM and if they shoot accurately I'll hunt them this year.
Thank you for the info. Wow 931 yards. Good shot indeed!:D

IIWY, I'd try the 215/230 in your 300 RUM. I'm currently developing loads using 215 for my .300 WSM.

Yes, I am definitely blessed!

Thank you. By the way I've read that the VLD hunting and the hybrid are both good. Which would you choose?

I don't think you can go wrong with either one as there are many excellent end user's results out there. Having said that, I'm a big/heavy bullet fan and I'd go with the ... I know it does not say for hunting but there are guys out there that has far more hands on experience and successes than I do.

Check this out >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.