Hello from Hawaii

BigHonu

Hello to everyone at LRH!

I've been hunting bird for most of my life, but have always been interested in long range shooting and hunting.

All of my hunting has been on the Big Island where we have quite a bit of game birds (pheasant, chukar, quail, erkel, francolin, and turkey) and some decent 4 legged game (boar, goat, and sheep). Patches of brush cover most of the hunting area so shots are usually under 350 yards or so. The terrain gives opportunities for long shots, but those are usually complicated by elevation changes.

Lots of walking at altitude (7000+ft) over uneven ground so a lighter setup is a necessity.

I'm new to this and am looking to put together my first rifle setup on a very tight budget so if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post up!

So far I'm looking at the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 for my scope and a Savage or Howa rifle. Not sure about which cartridge to look for, but I'm leaning toward .270 Win right now only because it is easy to get here.

Aloha!

Welcome aboard. How's the weather there? I don't know about you but I am tired of winter, can't wait for spring.

Steve

Welcome aboard. How's the weather there? I don't know about you but I am tired of winter, can't wait for spring.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the welcome! Weather here is nice year round. Hunting on Mauna Kea can be a bit chilly in the morning and evening during the winter months (40's) and there is an occasional bit of snow above 10,000ft. Otherwise, it is perfect conditions all the time.

Brian

Steve,

Thanks for the welcome! Weather here is nice year round. Hunting on Mauna Kea can be a bit chilly in the morning and evening during the winter months (40's) and there is an occasional bit of snow above 10,000ft. Otherwise, it is perfect conditions all the time.

Brian

Brian, my comment was tongue in cheek. I have been to Maui a couple times. Seems to me you would be a great candidate for swap a hunt.:D

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.