Hello from CO

OldDutch

Hello from CO. I've been shooting most of my life, and just recently started long range. I've been dropping in to the forum to read posts on various things for a while and finally decided to sign up.

My long range rifle is a 700 in .300 win mag. I'm just getting started with that, but the rifle is built and my hand loads are good.
I started on prairie dogs this year using a Rem 40-X in .222. Not technically long range, but that rifle and cartridge is my current focus.

I'm married with a couple of young kids and a couple of pets. I've got a soft spot for pre-war rifles but an appreciation for modern functionality.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like your off to a great start. What bullet are you using in the .300 Win Mag?
220 grain Sierra Matchking.

I am using IMR4350 targeting a book velocity of 2650 FPS, alternatively H4831sc targeting a book velocity of 2700 FPS. I have no problem posting my actual load data, but haven't checked the rules of the site to see if that's verboten. Both loads set to the same depth off the lands seem to shoot about the same. I have not chronographed either yet to see if the SD is going to be a problem at 1k. From 100 to 500 they shoot about the same.
It's rare for me to be able to get out to the outdoor range right now, two boys aged 2 and 4 combined with my wife's work schedule doesn't leave a lot of time, so I haven't pushed it further yet. Differences in groups appear to be consistent between the two loads so far, being dependent on the weather and how I am shooting that day... A chrono should be enlightening.

The Remington is a 700 PSS with a bedded McMillan stock and the standard Atlas bipod. I put a Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR II on it trying to be reasonably sure any issues are caused by me. I don't have anything else in the way of equipment, I'd sure like to get someone out there with a kestral spotting me one day. It's been a fun exercise so far at the limited ranges I've tried though.

I was going to PM you but I didn't see a selection to do that.

What part of CO are you located? There might be someone on here that can do some spotting for you.
Central Colorado Springs, born and raised.
I actually know a guy who shoots extra long range and has all the toys and experience. It's on me to catch up with him some weekend.

edit to add - not that I would turn down an invitation to meet someone at a range. Time allowing, I'm always game.

Another welcome from another Coloradoan. "Pre-war rifles" ... which war? :)

I shot on a Navy Rifle and Pistol team last century :) and had a National Match M-1 Garand built by Don McCoy ... ok, "the Navy" had the rifle and let me play with it. I really got a kick out of the Palma match - 800, 900 and 1000 yards with a half-minute peep sight.

Alas, old eyes have relegated me to optics for anything over .... uh, way too close.

Glad to have you aboard!

Greg