Hello from Afghanistan

Dustoff36

I am an US Army Officer currently deployed to Afghanistan and I am currently in the market for a good rifle to take to S. Africa. My father and I are planning a trip when I get back...so I am in the market for a new gun. Currently, I am looking at the 300 RUM or 300 Weatherby...however, I am still in the research process, but if anyone could provide me any useful information on either one of these calibers, it would help me in my quest for the perfect African plains game rifle.

I am an US Army Officer currently deployed to Afghanistan and I am currently in the market for a good rifle to take to S. Africa. My father and I are planning a trip when I get back...so I am in the market for a new gun. Currently, I am looking at the 300 RUM or 300 Weatherby...however, I am still in the research process, but if anyone could provide me any useful information on either one of these calibers, it would help me in my quest for the perfect African plains game rifle.

keep safe out there in the sand box !

try looking at more traditional calibres, eg 30/06 or 300 win mag or maybe the 375 if you can deal with the recoil , the 30/06 300 win mag will kill most stuff with good bullets and you can always get ammo for them pretty much anywhere in the world and the 375 is not rated as one of the top african calibres for nothing!

What are you hunting? Plains games etc ? If your hunting plains game the 300 is a good choice. Cape or any of the big boys, then I would go with the 375. Have fun and take care.

Thank you for all the comments. We will be hunting plains game, possibly some heavy cape animals such as water buffalo. I will be bringing my 30-06 (I am told I can bring up to 3 rifles) with me regardless, but want to purchase another rifle to not only commemorate the hunt, but also to serve as my long range magnum killer. Does anyone have any experience with the 300 RUM or its level 1-3 ammo? I have to be honest, I like this concept in ammo..similar to what I use in shotgun shells. However, I have never shot a 300 RUM. I realize that the ammo may be more difficult to find, but I am planning on stocking up prior to departing...if I run out, I will still have my trusty old '06 to rely on.

I run a 300 rum but handload exclusively as the factory stuff isn't that available in the uk , personally i wouldn't bother with different levels of ammo power , always run it at max ! i cant see you stalking with level three ammo but changeing to level one because the target is closer or smaller than you need level three for , not to mention different zeros etc

remember KISS , if anything can go wrong it will! and all plans break down after first contact with the enemy!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts