hello everyone im the new guy on the block

huntingdreams

well as the title says im new to the forums and have been talking to kirby about building a 1000 yard 7mm mag really just a reason to build me a custom rifle lol but as i really dont know a whole lot about reloading i figured i would stay with just a standard 7mm but from what i have been reading i would love to get into one of the wildcat's i live in pensylvania and im getting tired of playing sneak up on the deer after i see them out on the hillside's about 700-900 yards away figured why chase them when i can dail the scope and pop them from where im at so i have been talking to kirby about getting started im looking at around a $5k budget for a custom rifle i would hate to spend that much on a standard 7mm when theres so many good wildcats i have been reading about on the site here but i run inot a brick wall when it comes to reloading i know i start with a rock chucker and go from there but fire forming cases and so one im lost but i tend to figure it out lol any advice would be nice and nice to meet you all thanks for all the info i have gotten so far great site

huntingdreams:

First of all, welcome to Long Range Hunting. I think you will like it here.:)

You are getting off to a good start by talking to Kirby. He will help you with anything and will answer all of your questions and smooth out the process of building your new gun.

It is just my personal opinion, but if you are going to spend that kind of money then why not build the best 7mm you can get. I have a 7mm AM that Kirby built and it is absolutely the best.

Do not let the reloading thing worry you. It is a piece of cake and you will pick it up with no problem. Even forming the cases for the 7mm AM is super easy.

When you make you final decision just let us know what you need help with or what info you might need and you will get a lot of answers and help around here.;);)

Keep us posted as to your plans and progress. Looking forward to seeing your new gun when it is done.:)

huntingdreams:
You have many choices in 7mm and you might as well get into a perfomance factory offering or a wildcat now instead of spending the money on something that won't do the job as well as what Kirby can do for you. You have his AM, RUM, STW to name a few in 7mm. Great choice of bullets, brass and a world of knowledge from the guys here to get you shooting and hitting those longer range deer you are after. Your budget is well within reach of a hard hitting, long reaching, put meat on the table, kinda rig. Ask questions and good luck in putting together your custom gun.
1kstr

i was thinking hard about a 7mm allen mag as like i said talking to kirby i would over to see that rifle with a nighforce scope lilja barrel and a mcmillan stock jewel trigger with the rest of the bells and whistles lol im really thinking about going with the allen mag im sure reloading cant be that hard if you just follow the safey rules

huntingdreams:

Welcome aboard.

Gee Wizz ya had to go and talk to Kirby.;) Now you're hooked:eek:

The rig you described makes me pretty sad, or should I say it makes my 270 AM a bit melancholy:( It'll be getting cousin instead of a brother or sister.:(

You'll have to be careful as these APS guns get together in some magical way during the depths of the night, like when the deer come into your back yard but are never seen, only their tracks. So these guns know some stuff. They probably even have their own forum and talk about out.:eek:

Just be sure you don't shoot across state lines. There may be some kind of law against that??

As Kirby says "good shootin'" then you can really start dreaming as in "out west".........

PS: looks like you're good to Ohio, WVA and parts of MD. But don't shoot north, I have siblings and such up in Butler Co. ......:D

Last edited:
roy

if kirby gives my the tumbs up on reloading the 7mm allen mag as a newb at reloading i know just where ill be sitting come hunting season there's this over hang clif bolder that over see's the back side of the valley that you can see the whole way right up to the game refuge at the top of the other hill its so thick in there but there some nice trails you can see from that bolder ill be playing the sniper from above lol now ill have to have one of my nephews there to talk them where the deers laying in all that thick stuff but we have seen alot of monster roaming in and out of there but theres just no way to really get to them even on a drive as they run right up the hill to the game refuge and safe as a bug in a rug they are there but when there in the valley i figure that with a good 1000 yard rifle and alot of practice i should be able to drop me a nice buck without crossing any state lines lol

I sometimes come up to Mifflin for the Ghog shoots. I can bring my 7AM with me sometime this spring or summer if you wish to see it. I can also give you some help with reloading if you need it.

I would suggest that if you are not shooting in local competition events that you start. First of all you will find out what your skill level really is and second of all you will learn more from looking at your targets after the match than you ever will from plinking tin cans. Waiting until you have a custom rifle to start learning will be a mistake.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.