Helical residue on target holes

tankgijohn72

Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before, or know what it is. Doing some load development on a 26 nosler. These were 147 ELD-Ms RL33 Powder. Know what caused the helical residue on a few of these shots? I have never seen it in thousands of rounds, and no other rounds showed this phenomena. My thought was that the barrel was just completely fouled, but groups fired after this one did not shot the pattern.

Attachments

Tyler Kemp

That's some interesting stuff! I'd tag Hornady perhaps, or with your permission I can ask them. I'm sure folks would have all sorts of ideas, maybe they've actually seen it before?

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I have seen some guys reporting that they are coming apart with high vel launches. Your Nosler certainly puts you in that kind of speed. Non bonded bullets have trouble with 3200+ fps unless the jacket is thick. Seems like most bullets now days have gotten better at handling the vel capability of the big mags. Remember Berger when they came out with the 300g .338 had to change the jacket to handle the big guns. I suspect the same here.

Steve

J E Custom

I Agree with the others, It looks like jacket separation.

Normally, this is from to much velocity or twist, Or a combination of both.

Try a longer yardage and the issue will probably become obvious.

If you can recover one of the bullets, that could also help decide.

J E CUSTOM

tankgijohn72

Probably wont be able to cover the bullets, its at a public range. its a 1-8 twist. Didn't chronograph it. Curious as to how the lead would erode yet the hole be round? Think the jacket cracked?

RevJim

Yep, bullet is leaking molten lead from cracking/splitting jackets. Its pretty common with fast-movers...one BIG to just go to monos, for hunting anyhow. Of course, lots of good bullets, just have to try one that likes your rifle's bore and speed...

tankgijohn72

That's some interesting stuff! I'd tag Hornady perhaps, or with your permission I can ask them. I'm sure folks would have all sorts of ideas, maybe they've actually seen it before?
No problem with me if you ask them. Would be interested in what they had to say. I also had some 135 bergers I put through the rifle. I know that it was having issues with stability. My first 12" 5 shot group at 100yd ever. Those did show a slightly out of round hole.

Thunderrun

I had the same thing happen with a 9mm pistol round @ 10 yards! Must be those 3,000fps rounds out of a 4" barrel... On a more serious note, it has me stumped as well. I hypothesized that maybe I had a split in the copper plating, but couldn't convince myself since it only happened once.

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce