Height of animals for Mil-Dot Scope

I'm going to buy a mil-dot scope here very soon so i was wondering if anyone here knows a website or anyinformation regarding the height of most north american big game animals, such as elk, deer, moose, bighorn, dall sheep, hogs, bear, cougar, etc. Reason being i have to know their height to range them, as everyone knows. lol Any information is much appreciated! thanks

I googled it.

I am not using Mils though I have a Horus vision scope and it it so simple to use the range rinder. I have been practicing in the field next to my house using 32" as the average hight from top of shoulder to ground on a whitetail deer.

I take a reading do some math on my cell phone and then see how close I was with my range finder.

I dont even know what to do with mils I hope you will share what ever you learn?

Mils are easy to calculate, but take some real field practice and use to be any good.. in order to be accurate be prepaired to judge to the tenth of a mil.

Here are a few animal measurements

A deer from belly to back 18"
a Coyote from ground to top of back 18"
An elk from belly to top of back 36"

These of course are average heights and one could be off a little using them, but mill ranging can defiantley be effective if practiced

As you know take the height of the ranged object x 27.77 and then divide it by the mil reading to get the distance.

One thing I really like about a mil-dot scope is the ability to use the horizonatl dots as wind holds works extremely well for me.

Jordan

Hey bud,

First, remember that if your scope is not on fourteen power (14x), it doesn't matter at all.

Then, know this:

Belly to backs:

Mule Deer: 24

Whitetail: 18

Coyote: 10

Aoudad Ram: 24-26

Ground to top height:

Prairie Dog: 9

Whitetail: 36

Muley: 42

Coyote: 18

Fox:14

Also, remember that the head of a whitetail deer is about 9 inches long from nose to antler, nt nose to eyes but nose to antler.

Good luck,

Tex

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.