Heavy rifle pack harness. Pics inc.. What do you all think ??

Down Under Hunter

I recently came up with a fairly basic idea that incorporates the use of 2 std Uncle Mike rifle slings.

Basically carrying a heavy long range rig can be a tough gig, especially if you have to " run and gun alot "... Meaning running in on animals, climbing quickly to place yourself for a shot.

This is a rear on shot. Note how the gun is positioned straight up and down the spine and the rifle is sitting side on down my back. No scopes, bolt handles or bipod digging into you. See Pic below

P6011145-1.jpg

This forward attachment point is in the side of the forend on the non bolt side. This is a sendero 1 model HS stock fitted with accessories by Defensive Edge Inc. Both slings attach to this point.

The rear two attachment points are seen below. One is via the DE cheekpiece and the other through the std rear stud. The attachment point through the cheekpiece forces the heavy rifle to sit side on whilst wearing the rig. This offers extreme comfort to the shooter.

See pic below

P6011136.jpg

Another pic side on.

P6011144-1.jpg

Just thought I'd share this idea with you as it's really simple and inexpensive and best of all... A really comfortable rig to move a big heavy tactical rifle.

Cheers

DUH

Last edited:
Montana,

Good question... I have been wearing a fanny pack that rides to one side of the middle. I dont think it would be that good with a pack mounted, but you may be able to sling your pack over the top ?? Not to sure. It really was designed without a pack in mind

I will be purchasing an eberlestock M3 pack shortly, but this idea has been great if you need to cover ground quickly and can ditch the kit and go hands free. Alot of times I might sneak in with only my gun and Geovids.

Cheers

Looks good.

I have a suggestion for the loop around the cheekpiece.

Embed an Uncle Mikes Flush Cup into the side of the stock and use the push button release swivels, and save the stress on the slot.

From their web site -

Home : Swivels : Push Button Detachable Swivels
spacer.gif
Push Button Detachable Swivels
spacer.gif
  • <LI class=ptext>Easy to install, and versatile <LI class=ptext>Flush-mount front and rear bases for stud-free profile when sling and swivels are removed
  • Bases glue in place, no screws required
Set No. 1011-2 (1")

push_button_detachable.jpg

Montana,

Good question... I have been wearing a fanny pack that rides to one side of the middle. I dont think it would be that good with a pack mounted, but you may be able to sling your pack over the top ?? Not to sure. It really was designed without a pack in mind

I will be purchasing an eberlestock M3 pack shortly, but this idea has been great if you need to cover ground quickly and can ditch the kit and go hands free. Alot of times I might sneak in with only my gun and Geovids.

Cheers

A few years ago I was dating an Ozzie gal, you should have seen the look on her face the first time I said "fanny pack" !!

Where are you at DUH, I spent Christmas and New Years with friends in Sydney. Australia is one of the few countries I could live in besides the US, great people, food, culture.....and topless beaches !!

John

I have my heavy hunting rifle set up in a similar way. I used the flush cup detachable swivels on the rear bottom and rear left side of the stock and the on the front left side of the stock, with a anschutz rail with a flush cup adapter on the bottom front of the stock. The rifle really carries well this way. I am using quick detach slings, so I can go from the backpack carrying configuration to the ready position extremely quickly.

This works really well when I pack light on stalks and partial day trips, but leaves something to be desired when I need to carry extra gear. I have not been able to get it to work well with a regular back pack. I tried using a fanny pack with it, but it changes the carry angle and is uncomfortable. I'm looking at trying a smaller fanny pack that I can carry in the front, or on the side, or modifying my current fanny pack with some sort of pouch to support the butt stock of the rifle, or possibly trying to find some kind of load supporting vest. Anyone have any other ideas?

One other thing that helps, is I now use an eagle stock pack on the rifle and try to wear cargo pocket pants. I can put essentials like a gps, lense wipes, extra ammo, a lighter, a small LED light, a compass, a boresnake, an energy bar, etc into the pack and pants pockets, incase a stalk turns into a day trip, as is sometimes the case.

A few years ago I was dating an Ozzie gal, you should have seen the look on her face the first time I said "fanny pack" !!

Where are you at DUH, I spent Christmas and New Years with friends in Sydney. Australia is one of the few countries I could live in besides the US, great people, food, culture.....and topless beaches !!

John

I'm located in the south east cnr of the country in the state of Victoria, right on the coast 3 hours east of Melbourne. Great place to live, nice people and great hunting 10 min from town.

I know what you mean about the "fanny pack thing " We call them a bum bag down here ! I can see the look on her face !

Cheers

DUH

I'm located in the south east cnr of the country in the state of Victoria, right on the coast 3 hours east of Melbourne. Great place to live, nice people and great hunting 10 min from town.

I know what you mean about the "fanny pack thing " We call them a bum bag down here ! I can see the look on her face !

Cheers

DUH

What do you hunt ? Roos?

I like the three point hitch idea. I see a lot of Eberlestock rifle carryin type backpacks on tv now and they look great too, but I am so used to CARRYING my rifle dont know if I could hike with it in a scabbard. Your idea looks great for a heavy rifle. I just need to get a heavy rifle :) . Thx for posting.

Sniper,

We have lots of big game out here my friend. Six species of deer, plus all the other stuff like buffalo, pics etc

I like shooting the big stuff like Sambar deer. 600 lbs of raw muscle. Perfect for a big long range rig !

Cheers

DUH

Sniper,

We have lots of big game out here my friend. Six species of deer, plus all the other stuff like buffalo, pics etc

I like shooting the big stuff like Sambar deer. 600 lbs of raw muscle. Perfect for a big long range rig !

Cheers

DUH

Hmm, a good Mate of mine is a pilot with United (cheap tickets), I may have to hunt there one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.