Heavy hardcast lead for bear?

Every time I go to Alaska fishing I throw in heavy Keith style HC wadcutters in my 41 or 45LC. Never had to use one, and I went with those because a couple old timers who had used them said they work the best. Again I have no actual experience and I know they did.

What are you shooting this bullet out of, rifle?
45/70 marlin.Took a small black bear(about 200 pounds) first day out and dropped like a rock.Been going through trash cans and folks wanted it gone!
The following year I took 2 deer with it and was astounded at how fast they killed.
Took 7 or 8 hogs with it and same thing,dead right there.I still have that rifle

45/70 marlin.Took a small black bear(about 200 pounds) first day out and dropped like a rock.Been going through trash cans and folks wanted it gone!
The following year I took 2 deer with it and was astounded at how fast they killed.
Took 7 or 8 hogs with it and same thing,dead right there.I still have that rifle

Good rifle. Both my son and I hunt black bear with vintage 1895 Marlins in 45-70. We both shot black bear this year with them. His dropped right where he shot it, mine went about 30-40 yards into the jungle of Maine woods; really tough dragging/getting them out of that stuff. My shot was a broadside shot, took the top of the heart off like a hand grenade hit it, but....it still went the distance. I shot one two years ago, it turned and walked about 10-15 feet and dropped, tried to get up a second and third time, when I shot it once more. I am using Barnes 300 grain TSX FBHP, they perform perfectly. That 405 grain bullet ought to get the job done in good shape too. I would put the 45-70 up against anything that walks with continent with confidence.

I am really looking forward to the OPs report on how his cast bullets worked, when he gets back from the hunt. My bet is we have another convert to 45 70 with cast bullets.
Hunted all day today, unfortunately I didn't get the chance to connect with a bear this time. I do like shooting these cast bullets and plan to continue shooting them in preparation for next year's bear season. Thanks for all the interest and replies. I'm very disappointed that I didn't get the chance to shoot a bear with them. I was hoping I would have a good story to share with y'all!
Good luck to the rest of you, I hope your season is more fruitful than mine.

Good rifle. Both my son and I hunt black bear with vintage 1895 Marlins in 45-70. We both shot black bear this year with them. His dropped right where he shot it, mine went about 30-40 yards into the jungle of Maine woods; really tough dragging/getting them out of that stuff. My shot was a broadside shot, took the top of the heart off like a hand grenade hit it, but....it still went the distance. I shot one two years ago, it turned and walked about 10-15 feet and dropped, tried to get up a second and third time, when I shot it once more. I am using Barnes 300 grain TSX FBHP, they perform perfectly. That 405 grain bullet ought to get the job done in good shape too. I would put the 45-70 up against anything that walks with continent with confidence.
What powder do you use?

What powder do you use?
Starline brass, 50 grains of 4198, Barnes 300gr, TSX FBHP bullet. I was using 51 grains of 4198, but it was a pretty stout round, and to me it wasn't beating up a really nice, vintage 1895 Marlin for a few extra foot pounds of muzzle energy and a few more FPS. How dead can one make an animal dead!!??

Starline brass, 50 grains of 4198, Barnes 300gr, TSX FBHP bullet. I was using 51 grains of 4198, but it was a pretty stout round, and to me it wasn't beating up a really nice, vintage 1895 Marlin for a few extra foot pounds of muzzle energy and a few more FPS. How dead can one make an animal dead!!??
I have a load with Reloader 7 that was great in my rifle.
I am pretty sure I have a can of 4198 powder,not the plastic bottle but a can.I need to dig through all my powders to check.

Hunted all day today, unfortunately I didn't get the chance to connect with a bear this time. I do like shooting these cast bullets and plan to continue shooting them in preparation for next year's bear season. Thanks for all the interest and replies. I'm very disappointed that I didn't get the chance to shoot a bear with them. I was hoping I would have a good story to share with y'all!
Good luck to the rest of you, I hope your season is more fruitful than mine.
Your time will come Vortex,it will come.

Vortex getting the lead out of the barrel is a little different than copper/carbon.
I use Pro-Shot solvent and let it sit for 15-20 minutes and run a nylon bristle brush and scrub scrub and scrub some more.
I am starting to use another product called R G S Bore Stripper.Works well on carbon and copper so I'll try it on lead deposits.
If you have excessive leading the bullets are too small for your bore and thats why you need to slug the barrel to get the correct dimension of your bore.I have to run .459 at the least to not get excessive leading.

The guy I bought the gun from slugged the barrel and he said to run .458 sized bullets through it. The bullets I have currently were sent with the gun and they are powder coated. Thanks for your help.

I started powder coating two years ago. I cast for 45-70, 44 mag (rifle) and 30-30. Can't speak for others but PC has been an overall improvement on all three.

My grandsons 94 shoots a pc Lee 180 grain GC sized to 309 hands down more accurately than any factory or handloads ever shot with it.

Recent Posts